Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282728 - 08/06/2006 17:30 Can't q or control c - causing big problems.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I copied an album to my empeg that was too large and I (again) hosed it.

I went through this: http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=mod...;faqent=162#162

and then this: http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=mod...;faqent=220#220

but when I get to the part where I type exit, the database rebuilds and then I can't hit q or control c to get to a bash prompt.

It's a problem as the only thing I think I can do at that point is unplug and replug, and the hard drives are set rwm. So when I do that, I think I put myself back to square one...

After I type "exit", I get:

empeg:/empeg/bin# exit
logout
Shell exit
Starting player

player redirected to /proc/ttyH
Timezone: PST8PDT
Hijack: intercepting config.ini

hijack: removed menu entry: "Hard Disk Detection"
khttpd: listening on port 80
kftpd: listening on port 21

Help!?

- Jon

#282729 - 08/06/2006 18:06 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Check hijack to make sure it's set to "player uses serial port", though I'm not sure how you would have gotten as far as you did with it on the wrong setting. You can also use the web interface to change it to read only. If all that fails, perhaps doing an emplode sync would set everything right.

Matthew

#282730 - 08/06/2006 18:07 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I coped an album to my empeg that was too large and I (again) hosed it.

Let's rewind a bit.

First, a too-large album should simply refuse to synch, but not hose the empeg. In theory, anyway. Thus, suggesting something other than that album might be at fault for the problem.

Second: Define "hosed it" more clearly, please? Do you mean, it always does database rebuilds every time it boots?

Third: What player firmware are you running? If it's one of the 3.0 Alphas, that's your problem right there. I had multiple weird crashes during synchs and database rebuilds with the alphas.

Quote:
but when I get to the part where I type exit, the database rebuilds and then I can't hit q or control c to get to a bash prompt.

How long did you wait for the databse to rebuild? You shouldn't be trying to hit q until after the rebuild is done. If you have a lot of tunes and playlists, it could be a little while. How large is the hard disk on your player and how many total tracks do you have on there?

#282731 - 08/06/2006 18:12 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: matthew_k]
jbauer
veteran

Matthew -> Ok, hijack had it set wrong. I changed the setting to "player uses serial port" and now I can q out properly.

Tony -> Hm. All I did was try to sync a new album and empeg crashed and then the empeg started to do the "rebuilding music database" dance on each boot up, and I couldn't run empeg or jemplode as it would start a disc check which would eventually crash the app, and then the empeg would be stuck in a spinning sync deal-e-o.

I'm running v2.00 of the empeg firmware and 2.00 of emplode.

Lemme see if it's still "hosed" - more in a sec.

- Jon

#282732 - 08/06/2006 18:28 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

Ok, I THINK it's semi fixed now.

New question. I did an advanced search for refs=0 and found 223 items listed! To fix those unlinked items and make them linked, can I just drag and drop them where they should be in the playlists?

- Thanx
- Jon

#282733 - 08/06/2006 18:30 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yup. Open two sub-windows to do it. I think it's like "window/new window" or something like that on the menu.

#282734 - 08/06/2006 18:34 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Rock and roll.

Well, I just tried to sync in emplode and its "checking disk integrity" again. I think my problem still lingers...

Am working on it. Fixing the q and control-c problem was big. How was I able to q without that setting correct? I DID have to try many times to get a q <enter> to work, but it DID work...

and... I know it's been said ad nausea, but I have to again say - I've been browsing the faq for the last few days - it truly is a thing of beauty. Tony, you just rock.

- Thanx
- Jon

#282735 - 08/06/2006 18:40 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, thanks, Jon. It's wonderful to know it's still appreciated!

Regarding the disk integrity thing: If, at any time, you pulled the power mid-synch or mid-rebuild, or the synch crashed, and you didn't do another fsck afterward, then that's the reason it's happening. You'll simply need to do another fsck.

You said that you did the fsck once at the top of this thread, but then some other things happened and you didn't say whether you did another fsck after those other things happened and after you fixed the serial port assignment. I'll bet that's all it is.

#282736 - 08/06/2006 18:45 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

I think what was happening is that I did the fsck, then this process (http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=8&faqent=220#220) and when I got to the end of that one, I couldn't q out to a bash prompt, so I HAD to reboot the empeg so that I could try and get to a bash prompt. I think this was causing problems as it would boot and start to build the database with rwm!

So I think I need to go through the entire process again... The fsck and then the process I linked to above. Sound like a weiner?

- Jon

#282737 - 08/06/2006 18:56 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Correct.

If you pulled the power when you said you did (because you couldn't complete the procedure), then it means you rebooted the player RWM. That would definitly require the procedure to be done over again From The Top.

#282738 - 08/06/2006 19:01 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: tfabris]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Correct.

If you pulled the power when you said you did (because you couldn't complete the procedure), then it means you rebooted the player RWM. That would definitly require the procedure to be done over again From The Top.

Ok, gotya. Thank you!

So dude, how do you like living in Seattle? Miss the Bay?

- Jon

#282739 - 08/06/2006 19:21 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So dude, how do you like living in Seattle? Miss the Bay?

Well, I never actually lived in the Bay area to begin with (I was on the other side of California, in the foothills), but I have to say that everything I liked about San Francisco is here, too, but with less urban sprawl and less ghetto. We're closer to the mountains and the woods, and the city seems to be integrated into its natural surroundings rather than plowing over them like SF.

I do miss Tahoe, though.

#282740 - 08/06/2006 21:03 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: matthew_k]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Check hijack to make sure it's set to "player uses serial port",

Arrgghh! Again!

I think it's about time I reverted that change to Hijack, since no apps have appeared to actually make use of it. And it's a PITA for everyday diagnostics and the like.

Objections?

#282741 - 08/06/2006 21:33 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: mlord]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Check hijack to make sure it's set to "player uses serial port",

Arrgghh! Again!

I think it's about time I reverted that change to Hijack, since no apps have appeared to actually make use of it. And it's a PITA for everyday diagnostics and the like.

Objections?

All working now. Since I was up til 3:30 AM last night trying to fix my empeg - Mark -> I vote yes, change the default behavior so that the serial output goes to the port...

I now see a constant incrementing second count and alerts for when I pause and stuff on my serial port. That's supposed to be happening now once I made that change, right?

- Jon

#282742 - 08/06/2006 21:54 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I now see a constant incrementing second count and alerts for when I pause and stuff on my serial port. That's supposed to be happening now once I made that change, right?

Never mind. Upgraded Hijack to the latest and it isn't doing that anymore...

- Jon

#282743 - 08/06/2006 21:57 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I vote yes, change the default behavior so that the serial output goes to the port...

It's not quite that simple. With the v441-v460 scheme, Hijack doesn't work properly unless "Apps use serial". But interacting with the player itself won't work on that setting (by design and necessity).

Quote:

Right. That's a side-effect of Hijack not being able to work properly.

v461 is now out, and simplifies all of this by removing the player/app separation, same way as Hijack v440 and earlier had it.

#282744 - 08/06/2006 22:12 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: mlord]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Right. That's a side-effect of Hijack not being able to work properly.

Mark,

I only use Hijack for one feature - the volume normalization thingie. I have never touched my config.ini or anything.

To be honest, I've read a lot of threads on here about people doing lots of stuff with that aspect of Hijack and I don't exactly understand what the benefits are...

Do you have something I can read to try and get up to speed? The Hijack Kernal FAQ isn't working (the whole faq seems down!), and the Hijack page has very light details...

- Thanx
- Jon

#282745 - 08/06/2006 23:02 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Hijack docs can be found on the Empeg Wiki, which isn't linked at the top anymore....

#282746 - 09/06/2006 03:54 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
which isn't linked at the top anymore...

Must have gotten lost in the server hiccup a few weeks ago or something?

#282747 - 09/06/2006 10:53 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mmm.. I seem to have overwritten my own posting about how to activate / use Hijack's short knob-press functionality. Oh well. Here's all that remains of it.

Quote:

For a next step, the feature that *I* use daily from Hijack is the "short knob press pop-up", which is very useful (essential?) when there's no remote control handy. Again, enter the Hijack menu, and go to Knob Press Redefinition. This feature lets you assign special actions to a quick (short) press of the front panel Knob. I recommend setting it to PopUp0.

Edited by mlord (09/06/2006 13:11)

#282748 - 09/06/2006 12:46 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: mlord]
jbauer
veteran

Yep, played with all of the features you just mentioned after reading the Wiki last night. Excellent - love the short knob press functionality. Thanks!

- Jon

#282749 - 09/06/2006 13:10 Re: Can't q or control c - causing big problems. [Re: jbauer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Note that you don't give up the default short-press functionality, either. You know, the Loudness, Balance, Beep Level, PitchBend, etc... Those are still there, and still work. To access them, just twist the knob slightly before pressing it. Hijack won't activate if it sees the player's Volume pop-up on the screen.

Cheers