Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#289444 - 07/11/2006 22:31 Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band
dizar
Quiet One

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have been having a problem with my tuner for a few weeks. I can seek, tune, get a 5 out of 5 signal meter but no audio or RDS data. AM works OK.

I fiddled about with the connections to check everything was OK and did manage to get 5 to 10 minutes of FM radio and RDS but after that the audio faded (!!!) to silence for 5 seconds, came back on for 5 more and then went dead ever since. I removed the empeg and tuner, brought them home and tried mix and matching with my spare but the results were the same no matter what empeg/sled combo. Nonetheless I checked both sled's harnesses just to be sure, but I'm pretty convinced it's a tuner fault and not a loose wire situation (conclusion aided by the fact that power and data lines seem to work everywhere since I can tune and seek and audio lines work in AM).

I removed the tuner PCB from it's casing and a close up inspection shows nothing out of the ordinary solder wise, although I'm no expert esp. on SMD.

Also I'm officially out of ideas to try and my hunch is that the temic module is gone MIA. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dimitris.

#289445 - 07/11/2006 23:55 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: dizar]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Also I'm officially out of ideas to try and my hunch is that the temic module is gone MIA. Any suggestions?

Try replacing the sealed tuner can module. Patrick just happens to have a bunch of them he's trying to recoup the costs from. His are for PCATS pin-out, but they could be jumpered to work with a factory tuner (in theory).

Or else send me your dead tuner (to keep). I'll even volunteer to pay the postage!

#289446 - 08/11/2006 03:23 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: dizar]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Here's the thread that Patrick started regarding the sale of tuners and replacement parts.
Good luck!

#289447 - 08/11/2006 08:15 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: mlord]
dizar
Quiet One

Quote:
Quote:

Try replacing the sealed tuner can module. Patrick just happens to have a bunch of them he's trying to recoup the costs from. His are for PCATS pin-out, but they could be jumpered to work with a factory tuner (in theory).

Yeah, I know. I came up on the thread yesterday while searching to see if anyone hat the same or similar situation before (thanks robotic for the link).

Quote:
Or else send me your dead tuner (to keep). I'll even volunteer to pay the postage!

Well since I think you just verified my hunch the first thing I'm gonna do is seek out a kit from Patrick (preferably assembled) and then either send the original to him to try and fix or order a can module and try doing it myself so I have a second tuner for my spare (which might find it's way to a dash soon). If that fails and you're still interested then I'd be happy to forward it to you.

Thanks.

#289448 - 08/11/2006 09:44 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: dizar]
dizar
Quiet One

I was just putting everything back together again to put the empeg back in my car and when I finished putting the tuner PCB back in it's casing I couldn't resist a try. And just to piss my nuts off, guess what? It worked for 2-3 minutes, only to fade to silence again. Argh! And also the fade out thing's got me thinking maybe it's a capacitor problem.

Well the bottom line is still the same. Get a complete tuner from Patrick (there is only so much time a man can live without his tuner) and should he be available forward this one to him for fixing.

#289449 - 08/11/2006 22:18 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: dizar]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I was just putting everything back together again to put the empeg back in my car and when I finished putting the tuner PCB back in it's casing I couldn't resist a try. And just to piss my nuts off, guess what? It worked for 2-3 minutes, only to fade to silence again. Argh! And also the fade out thing's got me thinking maybe it's a capacitor problem.

Mmmm.. taym has the same issue on a couple of tuners. I wonder if any of the h/w gurus here have opinions on what it might be.. ?

#289450 - 09/11/2006 07:05 Re: Original tuner: no audio and RDS data on FM band [Re: mlord]
dizar
Quiet One

Patrick said "It may be a faulty opamp, though, from the description of the fault."

I'm sending the tuner to him for repair today so I guess we'll know in a week or so. If I'm lucky I'll have 2 tuners in a few days or a tuner and a very expensive
paperweight.

Cheers,
DZ