Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#300744 - 19/07/2007 16:31 Emptriv Questions
deface
new poster

Hello:

Now that I have my Empeg Mark-II up and running, I'd like to install some of the 3rd party apps (mainly emptriv). I did some searching, and came across this thread:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/94922/page/43/fpart/1/vc/1

Now, this is a very old thread, and I know that there have been many Hijack updates since this thread. I can follow the directions on getting emptriv onto my player using Hijack's FTP server, but how can I get it to bind to my Hijack menu? I found some info about editing the config.ini file and adding a line similar to this:

@MENUEXEC Emptriv exec /drive0/files/emptriv/emptriv

Does it matter where this line is located in config.ini, and does my syntax look correct? I was also wondering if there is a way to have Emptriv not interfere with the syncing process at all, without having to kill the app via hyperterminal each time.

Finally, how can I add my own questions to emptriv? I have seen that the format is:

"CATEGORY" "Question" "Difficulty" "Answer #1" "Answer #2" "Answer #3" "Answer #4" "Answer #5" "Number of Correct Answer"

Can I just create a tab-delimited file in excel with the columns in this order, then rename the file to *.dat?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

#300745 - 19/07/2007 16:36 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
deface
new poster

Also, I am running version 2.0 of the developer firmware, and version 476 of hijack.

#300746 - 19/07/2007 16:55 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Your menuexec line needs a leading semicolon:

;@MENUEXEC emptriv exec /drive0/files/emptriv/emptriv

It needs to be located in the [hijack] section of config.ini, which you should add if it doesn't exist.

Question files are as you described. You should indeed be able to export a tab-separated file with those fields in it, but I've not tried it myself. The questions that come with the program were generated with a bunch of Perl scripts.

All of that being said, emptriv was indeed written a long time ago and I can't guarantee it still works properly. I still have it on my own player, but haven't fired it up in ages.

#300747 - 19/07/2007 17:54 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: tonyc]
deface
new poster

What about the issue with not being able to sync because of a running app on my music partition? Has this been resolved with the implementation of ;@MENUEXEC? Or will I have to manually kill emptriv every time I sync with Emplode? If that's what I need to do, what's the best way to do it?

Edited by deface (19/07/2007 18:07)

#300748 - 19/07/2007 18:12 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

MENUEXEC just launches the programs. If something is running on the music partition, it will still cause problems with syncing.

You can add another MENUEXEC command to kill emptriv. Probably look something like this:

;@MENUEXEC kill emptriv exec /usr/bin/killall emptriv

#300749 - 19/07/2007 18:18 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: tonyc]
deface
new poster

That sounds like it should work. I was planning on putting some of the games onto my Empeg, so do you think there's a way to have 1 MENUEXEC command to kill all running 3rd party apps, whether only emptriv is running, or only emptris is running, or if both are running?

#300750 - 19/07/2007 18:37 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
Redrum
old hand

If you get it going please let me know, I couldn't. I did have it working on older versions of the kernel and play app.

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post245448

#300751 - 19/07/2007 18:49 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: Redrum]
deface
new poster

I'll try it tonight when I get home, and I'll let you know how it turns out

#300752 - 19/07/2007 19:18 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: tonyc]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
MENUEXEC just launches the programs. If something is running on the music partition, it will still cause problems with syncing.

You can add another MENUEXEC command to kill emptriv. Probably look something like this:

;@MENUEXEC kill emptriv exec /usr/bin/killall emptriv

No blanks allowed in the menu label, so the above entry WILL NOT WORK.

Do this instead:

;@MENUEXEC kill_emptriv exec /usr/bin/killall emptriv

#300753 - 19/07/2007 19:42 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: mlord]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Ugh, of course, since there's no delimiter between the label and program.

On my player I actually use the labels "+progname" and "-progname" for starting and killing of programs, respectively.

#300754 - 19/07/2007 21:12 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: mlord]
deface
new poster

I added these commands to my config.ini, and I can now see emptriv (and now emptris) in my hijack menu. Emptris runs fine, but no luck with Emptriv. When I open hyperterminal (for logging) and try opening emptriv, here's what I see:

opening display...
opening font file...
cannot open font file

Then my Empeg reverts back to the main screen. Now, I am also unable to kill either app. The hijack menu option didn't work, so I tried:

/usr/bin/killall emptriv

But the problem is that in my /usr directory, there is no folder called /bin, so I get:

bash: killall: command not found

How else can I force these apps to close?

#300755 - 19/07/2007 22:10 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I added these commands to my config.ini, and I can now see emptriv (and now emptris) in my hijack menu. Emptris runs fine, but no luck with Emptriv. When I open hyperterminal (for logging) and try opening emptriv, here's what I see:

opening display...
opening font file...
cannot open font file

Then my Empeg reverts back to the main screen. Now, I am also unable to kill either app. The hijack menu option didn't work, so I tried:

/usr/bin/killall emptriv

But the problem is that in my /usr directory, there is no folder called /bin, so I get:

bash: killall: command not found

How else can I force these apps to close?

There is no (standard) killall command on the player. You could compile / install it yourself, or do something like this (below) instead:
Code:

[hijack]
;@MENUEXEC Kill_emptriv for y in /proc/[0-9]* ; do if ( grep -l 'emptriv' $y/cmdline &>/dev/null ); then kill ${y:6}; fi; done

If you try this, then use cut and paste to directly copy from the above,
rather than trying to manually type it in --> if you type it, you will get it wrong.

Cheers

#300756 - 19/07/2007 22:27 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:

opening display...
opening font file...
cannot open font file

Alright, I guess emptriv doesn't work with the newer font files, or the standard developer image is missing a font that it uses. I guess I will have to update it at some point to do so. The code was written a long time ago, so upgrading it might not be a trivial (ha!) exercise.

#300757 - 20/07/2007 09:40 Re: Emptriv Questions [Re: deface]
Redrum
old hand

Yes, I got most of the other older graphic apps to work. The one thing I liked about Emptriv was that it was not graphics based. If you want a graphics game there are a lot of better solutions out there than an empeg.