Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#307240 - 14/02/2008 11:54 Error 0xC0041016 While Download From empeg to PC
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I am copying all the songs from my empeg to my PC in preparation for squirting them onto a portable player. So far, about six songs have halted the download process with the error code 0xC0041016. The only time that error was mentioned on the board was when dealing with newly upgraded drives and incorrect builder images/formatting/etc have been the culprit, and I couldn't find anything on that error code in the FAQ. I haven't upgraded the drive (still a single 30G drive). Those six songs (out of the 28G worth that I'm downloading) are the only ones so far (about 75% done with the download). Those files consistently (as in every time) pop up the error almost as soon as I confirm the download.

This empeg has shown signs of the drive going bad (hanging on booting), so I'm assuming this error has something to do with a bad drive (bad cluster/blocks maybe?). Does anybody know if this is the case and I should just pitch the drive and finally upgrade to a larger one?

Thanks!

#307241 - 14/02/2008 12:17 Re: Error 0xC0041016 While Download From empeg to PC [Re: Tim]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
0xC0041016 is "Invalid argument" (Player error)

from here on Trevor's webpage. Can't offer more help than that though.

#307242 - 14/02/2008 12:31 Re: Error 0xC0041016 While Download From empeg to PC [Re: sein]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Weird... When I get back home I'll have to make sure those songs play off the empeg. I don't remember having a problem with them, though.

Thanks for the link - I haven't seen that site before.

#307244 - 14/02/2008 14:40 Re: Error 0xC0041016 While Download From empeg to PC [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
This empeg has shown signs of the drive going bad (hanging on booting), so I'm assuming this error has something to do with a bad drive

Yes, if your player has been showing signs of disk trouble, that would be my first guess as to the reason specific songs are causing errors on download.

Relevant stuff to try:
Diagnosing disk trouble
Checking the hard disk for sector errors
Performing a file system check
Rebuilding the music database

Another thing to look at is to see if there is any kind of unusual garbage in the songs' tags, stuff like special non-DOS characters, or unusually large comment tags, that sort of thing.

Finally, it might be worth trying to download those songs with Jemplode or with Hijack's FTP or HTTP interfaces, to rule out issues with player/emplode interaction.