Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3495 - 10/12/1999 18:35 Display Extension???
smeg
new poster

Loc: Chelmsford,Essex!
Hi!

I just bought a BMW 535 (1996) to find that EMPEG just aint gonna fit anywhere up front!! Doh!!

There is a flap in the centre of the dash covering a crappy tape player thats tied into the combo car radio/computer blah blah system, what I want to do is remove the screen from the empeg unit and mount it in this area and store the remains of the empeg somewhere away...

Questions.

1 - Having voided my warranty and looked inside, the screen is attached with a bog standard cable to the main board, question is, how far can I expect to extend this before getting too much crap on the display.

2 - Would Line drivers help ?

I dont really wanna stick the thing in the boot, I wanna see it!!

Any chance of a pin out for the motherboard screen connector ?

Thanks empeg for a kewl gadget

Regards
Smeg

#3496 - 11/12/1999 05:19 Re: Display Extension??? [Re: smeg]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
One thing I'd like to point out is that several easily accessible components on the display board are powered at 60V with a fair degree of current available. Please be careful!

Rob

#3497 - 12/12/1999 07:56 Re: Display Extension??? [Re: smeg]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
There's an aftermarket fascia plate available for the 5srs that allows you to replace the whole unit. There's also a complete kit available which includes all parts needed for the install (aerial adaptor, loom adaptor and fascia plate). There's actually 3 different options, depending on the spec of your OE unit - see http://www.autoleads.co.uk/Cat 1/bmw.html for details.
Let me know if you can't find one locally - we can soon mail one out to you.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk