Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27516 - 02/03/2001 13:46 redirecting terminal output to front display
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
I am sure this has been hashed trough before, but I am wondering if it is possible to redirect the terminal output to the display of the unit? ie. view the command prompt on the front display?

The primary reason for this is this neato thing.
Though the unit is expected to ship soon for pc's (I assume PS/2 connections) the MAc version with USB might be an interesting tool for in the car use.

any thoughts?

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#27517 - 02/03/2001 14:34 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: Smoker_Man]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I doubt you will have any succes wiring it up to the empeg. Both are USB slave-devices and cannot communicate without a host. You are probably better of with an IR-keyboard, haven't heard of any success though. There was someone with such a keyboard last year on the BBS, I can't remember if he got it working.
Anyway, if you want to display console output on the empeg, you can go to my website for blitecho, which can output ascii characters on the display...

Frank van Gestel

#27518 - 02/03/2001 14:47 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: fvgestel]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
Hey neat! Thanks Frank!!!

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#27519 - 02/03/2001 23:16 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: Smoker_Man]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Have you actually used one of these things? I have been interested in the computer version of this since I saw them on /. a while back. If you can actually use them at somewhere near full speed it seems like they would be great for desktop use. No RSI moving back and forth to use the mouse. I use a trackball so if my right hand could stay on the trackball and my left on the keyboard it seems like this could be really productive with no elbow strain. But, I am a programmer so my typing speed is pretty important to me. I am curious how they would hold up under heavy use (10+ hours/day) since it seems like they are designed more for occasional palmtop use.

-Mike

#27520 - 02/03/2001 23:17 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: Smoker_Man]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
The primary reason for this is this neato thing.

Wow, this is very neat. And I thought the Palm Portable Keyboard was cool. Actually, by the time you put it in a case it might not be any smaller but that's beside the point.

I've been wanting something like this for my empeg for a long time, except I also want IR. Too bad these keyboards are targeted for the Palm and there IR is just impractical (IR port being on top and all that). Some days I'm tempted to get a Palm for the express purpose of interfacing one of these puppies with the empeg.

Anyway, maybe it's possible to use the PS/2 version with a PS/2 to serial converter?

Borislav

#27521 - 03/03/2001 21:40 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: fvgestel]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Both are USB slave-devices and cannot communicate without a host.

Not true, the Jack on the Palm is a serial port. It should be possible to connect a HalfKbd to the serial port of the Empeg. It would require patching on the proper 9 pin plug. But that's the easy part.

Glenn

#27522 - 04/03/2001 10:02 Re: redirecting terminal output to front display [Re: gbeer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
True, but Frank was replying to smoker_man who was talking about the USB version.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...