Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29288 - 09/04/2001 11:06 Uploading a new kernel
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hello All

Hate to sound so inept but after much research to no avail, I have to ask again...when a new kernel is uploaded to the player, what additional files are required to make it successful? My example is Frank van Gestel's IR hack kernel, he has three files in the zipped folder. Do I need to upload all three to the player or is the kernel image file itself sufficient? Maybe Tony could amend his FAQ on this to include the specifics? Thank again and I will not have to bug anyone more about this after this post ha ha....John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

#29289 - 09/04/2001 11:22 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: ineedcolor]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have to ask again...when a new kernel is uploaded to the player, what additional files are required to make it successful?

It depends on how the kernel is coded, what the additional files are, and what you want to do. Each case is different. There's no way to write a permanent FAQ on the subject, since it would change every time somebody decides to add a new feature.

Here are some current examples of how it works (these are subject to change):

- Richard Lovejoy's volume adjustment kernel: No additional files needed if you just want to leave it "on" all the time.

- Richard Lovejoy's volume adjustment kernel: Picker files are required if you want to be able to turn it on and off. Instructions for this are available.

- Displayserver: This is a stand-alone program that does not require any changes to the kernel at all. It works without a special kernel. Displayserver has its own installation program, INSTALL.SH, that runs stand-alone.

- Displayserver: IRhack kernel is required only for one of displayserver's features: The ability to click on the buttons in the Java applet to remote-control the empeg. The IRhack code allows it to interpret messages from the Java applet as if they were IR commands. If this kernel is not installed, Displayserver still works fine, you just can't click on the Java applet.

See? It depends on what you're doing and what kernel you're running.

#29290 - 09/04/2001 11:28 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: ineedcolor]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Did you read the readme file that frank has for displayserver? I thought it explained things pretty well.

Sean

#29291 - 09/04/2001 11:29 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: Terminator]
ineedcolor
addict

Thanks Guys - I will look it through again. John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

#29292 - 09/04/2001 20:00 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: tfabris]
ernestp
journeyman

Loc: San Diego,Ca USA
I have a question, This may be simple what program do you use to download the src files to the empeg player and is there a certain area [storage] for this. I'm starting to learn to use some of these cool program you guys have written. I just don't want to mess up my player (Not Boot) I have over 60 gigs of mp3 that I do not want to screw-up.

Black Infiniti I-30, 1 OVR 0
MkII Serial # 080000457, 60gigs
Over 1400 Music Cd's

#29293 - 09/04/2001 22:37 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: ernestp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
program do you use to download the src files to the empeg player

You don't download source files to the empeg player.

When you talk to us geeks, the word "source" has special meaning. It means source code, the stuff the programmers work with which gets compiled into executable files. To do this compiling (at least in the case of the Empeg), you need to have a computer running the Debian version of Linux with the ARM cross-compiler, something you probably don't have set up right now.

Usually, the stuff you send to the empeg player is already compiled. For instance, if you want to send the Volume Adjustment kernel to the empeg, you send the already-compiled kernel image to the player, and ignore the source code.

What program you use to send the software to the empeg depends on what the software is. If it's a kernel image, or a custom logo, you store it in the empeg's flash ram, and there's a FAQ on the subject here. If it's a piece of software that runs from the empeg's hard disk (such as Displayserver or Emptris), you use the Linux command prompt with Hyperterminal in windows, as described here, but you need to know some stuff about Linux before you can do that easily.

#29294 - 13/04/2001 12:47 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: ineedcolor]
ineedcolor
addict

Here is an update....
I tried it and it was tooooooo easy, I am actually embarrased now that it is done and I realize how easy it was...my Pioneer remote works just great and my software is right up to date! Many thanks to Tony and Frank for enduring my repeated newbie questions..... Now all we need is v1.1....

John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

#29295 - 14/04/2001 14:06 Re: Uploading a new kernel [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
you need to have a computer running the Debian version of Linux

Just wanted to note that you don't need debian or even linux for that matter. Just a supported platform for GCC and the ARM cross-compiler. Other linux distros work fine, and one of these days I am going to see if I can get a cross compiler setup under FreeBSD (anybody done this?) so I don't have to use my work computer for cross-compiles.

-Mike