Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34491 - 15/07/2001 12:00 OT Web control of IR remote devices
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
My apologies for an off topic post, but I've been looking for something on the web all day and haven't found anything spot on. I thought I'd ask here (given the overall high caliber of minds) to see if anyone has seen something like the following:

A piece of software for a PC(M$, Linux or otherwise) that contains a database of IR codes and can output them to a serial IR device. This software also serves a web page so that any wired/wireless machine in the LAN/WLAN (or WAN I suppose) can control any component with an IR remote (ie CD, empeg, DVD etc). So the jist of it is a universal remote that uses a web interface instead of custom hardware/learning remote.

The output IR would be trancieved (through a Powermid or other IR extender) to the component stack in another room(s). This way, anyone with a LAN, the serial device mentioned & IR tranciever (if PC and stereo/theatre are in separate rooms) could contol all IR stereo equipment from any PC or wireless device capable of html browising.

So far I've seen lots of propietary hardwire switching devices, lots of devices to use a remote control to control a PC, all the X10 based stuff, and the serial I/O devices but no html interface to control external components. I cannot be the first person to think of this, but I have had no luck finding anything on the money.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd love to hear thoughts. Thanks much.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#34492 - 16/07/2001 01:36 Re: OT Web control of IR remote devices [Re: Ezekiel]
Dava

Loc: Bucks UK
You're half in luck!

I got a device called a RedRat2 a long time ago from a web site which is sort of what you are looking for. It plugs into the serial port and can learn consumer IR and play it back very reliably. I wrote a Windows based OCX and Learning on screen remote for it. You should be able to use the OCX to create a Web page of what you want. I have a small VB monitor which listens at a specific port, when it gets an IR code (plain text) it sends it to the device.

I have it connected to my PC upstairs and then Powermids send the IR to the stack in the living room. It works well with the empeg and all other devices I have tried (around 18).

I use it with my laptop and a wireless NIC to control everything in the house!

Look at the site www.redrat.co.uk for all the other Sw available.

MK2 Red S/n 949

#34493 - 16/07/2001 06:34 Re: OT Web control of IR remote devices [Re: Dava]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
That does get me 85% of the way there. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a few folks who might be able to help me with the last 15%. The price for the redrat looks fair (about $120 US) since it also handles learning the codes. I counted them yesterday and I have 16 remotes (including Mouseremote & multibrands). Can't wait to get rid of them.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

#34494 - 16/07/2001 06:44 Re: OT Web control of IR remote devices [Re: Ezekiel]
Dava

Loc: Bucks UK
By the way, The best method to get rid of all those remotes that I have found is the Philips Pronto touchscreen learning remote. This is a great piece of standalone kit.

MK2 Red S/n 949