While picking up supplies the other day, I noticed my mason supplier had samples of Perma-Barrier. Permabarrier is super sticky black rubber that we use to cover steel beams before building a masonry wall over them. I picked up a few samples of the stuff plus some samples of a very similar product that is a bit thinner. Both are made by www.graceconstruction.com . I tried to look on their web site for a place that anyone could order free samples, but all I found were a few email address. But if you were to call around to your local masonry or building supply stores, I'm sure you'd be able to get your hands on some. If you're in the US, I can even mail you what is left of my samples.

The samples are about 1.5" x 3". Simply use a razor blade to slice a 1/2" by 3/16" peice. Then cut that peice in half. Apply to the bottom of the handle, and the rubber coating will keep your handle from rattling against the empeg case. I tried to cut the stuff with scissors and it was a disaster because the stuff is so sticky.

I know it's more of a bandaid than a fix, but the rattle/squeak noise is gone so I'm happy!

I'll post pics later.