My friend left his empeg in the center armrest in his Jeep on a hot day. When he came back and plugged in the empeg, he got the dead Tux logo and the empeg hasn't worked since. I assumed the hard drive just died due to the heat.

He had a 40GB drive around, so without doing anything else, I put that in there and tried to flash with the disk builder. The process failed at "finding pump." The hard drive never turned on. That's when we hooked up his original hard drive to a PC and it worked fine.

Now my assumption was that the cable went bad somehow since the IDE header looks to be in fine condition. I just replaced the cable with a brand new one, and the drive still doesn't power up.

I suppose that since I have been unable to flash this thing, this is all I get from the serial port now:
Code:
If there is anyone present who wants to upgrade the flash, let them speak now,
or forever hold their peace...it seems not. Let fly the Penguins of Linux!ý5jj¤T
peg-car bootstrap v1.02 20001106 ([email protected])
or forever hold their peace...it seems not. Let fly the Penguins of Linux!ý5jj¤T
or forever hold their peace...

Any ideas?