Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224440 - 15/01/2004 19:54 Im lost....
Z0d1ak
stranger

OK...this is gonna sound pathetic...but I cant figure out how to use this darn thing. I have a ton of MP3's on my system but when I transfer them to the reciver, most show up as (non) then the artist. Why wont they show up as Artist?

Second note, is there a place anyone knows of that I can get a new shell for this unit? The front of mine looks pretty pathetic (garage sale) and I want it to look a bit nicer.

Final note. As I said this was a garage sale ($50)....it works perfectly with a new drive. I grabbed the non-cddb image from digital networks and it works fine, but with no CDDB info inplace. This unit is on a dial up and I cant seem to get the info to come accross the line. Does anyone have a working image of the latests software with CDDB that I could d/l on my T-!? Im going to run some cat-5 to the reciever, but it will take a few weeks to get around to it.

Oh yah...one more thing...where can I buy a remote control for this thing?

Thanks everyone.

#224441 - 16/01/2004 11:32 Re: Im lost.... [Re: Z0d1ak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
In reply to:

I have a ton of MP3's on my system but when I transfer them to the reciver, most show up as (non) then the artist. Why wont they show up as Artist?

Likely reason is that your tags are incomplete. Make sure that you fill out the ID3V2 tags for every file before uploading them.

Note: You said "receiver", but from context I assume you're actually talking about a Rio Central.

In reply to:

Im going to run some cat-5 to the reciever, but it will take a few weeks to get around to it.

Remember that you also need a supported usb-to-ethernet adapter.

In reply to:

Does anyone have a working image of the latests software with CDDB

Unfortunately, no. What's up at Rioaudio.com is all there is. When you get the ethernet adapter working, in theory, this should not be needed anyway, so I'd concentrate on that if I were you.

In reply to:

is there a place anyone knows of that I can get a new shell for this unit?
(...)
where can I buy a remote control for this thing?

The only place I can think of would be Rio itself, but I don't believe they offer those things for separate sale. Call them and ask. A universal remote would work for the Rio Central, if you could program the proper codes. For example, if you had a programmable remote (Pronto, JP1, etc.) and could find someone who offered a pre-made code set that worked.

Hmmm. Garage sale, huh? No remote, you say? What's the unit's serial number?

#224442 - 19/01/2004 11:36 Re: Im lost.... [Re: tfabris]
Z0d1ak
stranger

OK....now I know why it was in a garage sale. The unit turns itself off randomly. It seems like maybe some is loose though. When it is off...nothing responds until I hit the bottom back left side and then I hear a click when the unit gets the power. Right under the power PCB. Any Ideas? ANy engineers out there know how I can test the PCB to see what the issue is? Ive taken it apart and it looks fine, but the unit just shuts off in the middle of a song, at the end of a song...doesnt matter. It just turns off randomly.

You were right, the ID3 tags were all missing. I grabbed the boxes of CD's and re-ripped all of them. Now it works fine because the new rips have all id3 v1.1 and v2.x. Thanks for the help. Now if I can find a new power supply, maybe this thing will work 100% again.

#224443 - 21/01/2004 00:02 Re: Im lost.... [Re: Z0d1ak]
geeknerd

I'd open it up, hit it with some canned air and see if you can shake out a loose screw or something. But that's just the optimist in me talking.

If it is the power supply, I bet you could take it to a tv/audio repair shop, and they could fix it. It would certainly be cheaper than a new central.

#224444 - 28/01/2004 04:39 Re: Im lost.... [Re: geeknerd]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
...or use an old PC PSU, maybe one of the micro ones. You'll need to short it so it powers on all the time, but the Central just needs 5v/12v to work.

Hugo