Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25848 - 31/01/2001 12:19 band-pass sub box suggestions
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford
Can anyone suggest a band pass sub enclosure + 2 decent 10" subs, for around £200 in the uk?

would be much appreciated.

#25849 - 01/02/2001 01:03 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: MrFarm]
teemcbee
addict

Just a question:
Why has it to be a band-pass sub?
A band-pass has a very small frequency-band.
If you take a closed box you'd get better results from the same speaker-chassis by having a smaller box,too.
I've tried both (I self-built some calculated band-pass boxes) but I ended up with a small closed box and I'm very pleased with it.
Just a thought...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#25850 - 01/02/2001 01:25 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: teemcbee]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Why has it to be a band-pass sub?

Because it's more efficient? Different things matter to different people. (I'm with you on this one, though.)

Borislav

#25851 - 01/02/2001 02:08 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: borislav]
teemcbee
addict

Because it's more efficient?

Yep! It is more efficient but just in this very small frequency-band (eg. 50-60 Hz). Every Frequency higher or lower than that you don't really hear any more.
I got something like a "hole" in my sound. Some basses came very well but as soon as they ran out of the band-pass freq.band I could hardly hear them.
A closed box or bassreflex is more dynamic.

I don't want to say that are the only useful boxes. I just say what I saw in my case in praxis.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#25852 - 01/02/2001 12:38 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: teemcbee]
MrFarm
stranger

I want bandpass, because all the articles i have read have suggested you get the most efficient amount of bass / wattage with them. I want to feel my bass. As far as i understand it, i cant get that so chrisp with any of the other setups. And i dont want to play with putting the sub on the back of a seat, or anything like that, i just want to be able to put a box in, and be happy.

by all means make suggestions:

i currently have 4 tweeters and 4 "normal" speakers. I think. This cant handle as much bass as i want, and i want muchos more bass. I want it punchy, and as far as i have read, a bandpass would be the best for this. I dont realy care too much as far as frequency limiting goes.. anything a bit higher, the normal speakers can handle anyway.. i think.

my mate has a bandpass, and it rox. Anoyher one has a closed box, doesnt sound as good in my oppinion.

Anyway, a good sub / box combination premade anyone?

#25853 - 01/02/2001 16:54 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: MrFarm]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
my mate has a bandpass, and it rox. Another one has a closed box, doesnt sound as good in my oppinion.

You're caught in the conflict between SPL and SQ. (Sound Pressure Level and Sound Quality)

By definition, maximizing your SPL means to get the maximum number of decibels of sound pressure out of your system. For this, a band pass box is best.

Maximizing your SQ means to make the music sound as much like the original performance as possible. (or at least like the recording engineer's opinion of what it sounded like :-) For this, a sealed enclosure is best.

My overwhelming preference is for SQ, but that is not to suggest that an SPL preference is in any way less appropriate. Different strokes and all that...

If you want hard, punchy bass to impress your friends, go with the band pass box. If you want music that you can listen to and enjoy on a long road trip, go with the sealed box.

With the band pass box, you will have to make choices (box volume, number of ports, port orientation and total port area) to determine the enhanced frequency. With the sealed box you will have to determine optimum volume for your speaker(s) of choice. All of these choices can be determined from the information that comes with your speakers.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#25854 - 01/02/2001 23:01 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: tanstaafl.]
teemcbee
addict

With the band pass box, you will have to make choices (box volume, number of ports, port orientation and total port area) to determine the enhanced frequency. With the sealed box you will have to determine optimum volume for your speaker(s) of choice. All of these choices can be determined from the information that comes with your speakers.

Sound quite simple but calculating a box is pretty complicated. But car-hifi stores usually have some prebuilt boxes - band-pass and sealed ones - at low costs. Even if such prebuilt boxes are not calculated for your special speaker-chassis you'll get a good compromise between afford and quality.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#25855 - 03/02/2001 08:09 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: teemcbee]
MrFarm
stranger

thanks guys, im off to buy a ported 10 inch sub :)

#25856 - 03/02/2001 14:59 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: MrFarm]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
im off to buy a ported 10 inch sub

ported? Eeewwww!

(Juussst kidding...) You will be very happy with the improvement in your sound from adding a subwoofer, whether sealed or ported. And you picked 10" -- my favorite.

Now, once it's installed, I want you to try an experiment: run the sub with the normal crossover (probably around 90-100Hz) and get used to how it sounds. Then, try it full range -- no crossover -- and see what you think. Chances are, it'll sound terrible -- but depending on the acoustics of your car and what other equipment you have installed, it might sound really good. It isn't supposed to, but every once in a while (like in my car, which the local stereo shop describes as "a freak of acoustics") it sounds great. If it works, you'll add a lot of richness and warmth to your sound. Just don't try "booming" it without the crossover -- those high frequencies will make it pretty unhappy (can you say "smoke"?) if you start pushing it towards its maximum power handling capabilities.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#25857 - 04/02/2001 06:02 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: tanstaafl.]
MrFarm
stranger

righto, will do, thanks.

My employer have decided to pay me on monday instead of friday. I get back from a trip to france on friday, so ill get it then.

ill let you know how it goes :)

#25858 - 09/02/2001 12:20 Re: band-pass sub box suggestions [Re: MrFarm]
MrFarm
stranger

Well, i got myself an AURA 12" Competition Sub in 12" ported Box.

very nice, thanks. Same bass etc, as my mates dual 10" kenwood bandpass box. Yum, not heard of AURA much before, anyone got their website? I think i read on some site that it won the 1998 best sub award or something, not sure.

Also, cant find much on the net about AURA, at all. any ideas?