Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#37776 - 31/08/2001 09:16 How about a Palm Pilot sync function
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
With the IR capabilities of the Empeg, has anyone looked into the possibilty of runing a palm pilot sync with the empeg, and possibly having the information available for display on the Empeg. It would be cool if the empeg could have your Palm Pilot appointments & alarms, or even just phone numbers.

Just a thought....

#37777 - 31/08/2001 10:21 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: ccrobin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know if things have changed recently, but...

On my wife's Palm Pilot, the unit doesn't synch via IR. It only synchs via the cradle. For instance, her laptop has an IR port, and the IR driver clearly recognizes the presence of the Palm Pilot in the room, but she can't make the Palm unit synch through that port. The software simply doesn't work that way.

I could be wrong, or things could have changed since I tried it (over a year ago).

#37778 - 31/08/2001 10:33 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: tfabris]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Actually the Palm does sync via IR, albeit very slowly. Not sure about iPaq's though. I think they may only sync via USB/serial. You would have to reverse engineer ActiveSync for that to work first anyhow. Haven't we had this discussion though, with the issue being that the empeg only does CIR?

-Kit

#37779 - 31/08/2001 11:05 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: tfabris]
tigloo

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
You have to point the software to the virtual COM port that is assigned to the IR port. Right click on the hotsync icon in the tray and go to "customize" or something like that.

Till

#37780 - 31/08/2001 11:41 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: tigloo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You have to point the software to the virtual COM port that is assigned to the IR port.

I recall trying to do that. The software didn't allow that option. It was probably an old version of the software or something.

#37781 - 31/08/2001 11:50 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: tfabris]
crazymelki
enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
Tony,

Do you use on this PC Windows 2000? If yes try the following:

SETUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR INFRARED (IR) HOTSYNC® under Windows® 2000

To enable IR HotSync:
1. Exit the HotSync Manager application by clicking on the icon in the Task Bar and choosing exit.
2. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and double click the "Wireless Link" icon.
3. In the "Image transfer" tab, uncheck the box for "Use Wireless Link to transfer images from a digital camera to your computer".
4. Disable any other application you use that opens the IR port.
5. Restart HotSync Manager.
6. Click on the HotSync Manager icon in the Task bar and check the "Infrared" menu item.

You can now synchronize via IR.

To return to default settings and disable IR HotSync:
1. Click on the HotSync Manager icon in the Task bar and uncheck the "Infrared" menu item.
2. Go to the Windows Control Panel and double click the "Wireless Link" icon.
3. In the "Image transfer" tab, check the box for "Use Wireless Link to transfer images from a digital camera to your computer".

bye

CrazyMelki

#37782 - 31/08/2001 12:17 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: crazymelki]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No, it was on Win98. My wife's laptop.

It wasn't a PROBLEM that I needed to solve, it's just something I noticed that I thought was relevant to the discussion. I now see that it's not relevant so there's no need to try and debug my wife's situation. She synchs fine with the cradle.

But thanks for the information. If she ever needs to synch with IR, I'll look into it more closely.

#37783 - 31/08/2001 12:26 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: tfabris]
crazymelki
enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
...or let me know!

It's my business!

bye

CrazyMelki

#37784 - 31/08/2001 15:36 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: crazymelki]
edwin

Loc: Druten, The Netherlands
Do you know of the official Microsoft Win2k update concerning IR...? That is, having a mobile phone acting as a modem, plug'and'play (not pray)... It works, really, I've tried it. It only doesn't use a virtual com port, thus other apps than dailup networking can't use the phone. Otherwise install Extended Systems IRCOMM driver.

Edwin de Vaan
mk2 rev.7 # 080000263 (queue 1232) 6+20Gb blue/red

#37785 - 31/08/2001 16:43 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: Kit]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Actually the Palm does sync via IR, albeit very slowly. Not sure about iPaq's though. I think they may only sync via USB/serial. You would have to reverse engineer ActiveSync for that to work first anyhow. Haven't we had this discussion though, with the issue being that the empeg only does CIR?

All new Palms with IR can sync via IR, and some older ones with an upgrade to the ROM. I did IR syncs with my Palm V, and I believe my Palm III as well. The speed was no worse then serial either.

The empeg can see the Palm, and also can userstand IRDA, it's just a matter of someone putting it all togther.

And with the iPaq, I have synced via Serial, USB, IR, Ethernet, and 802.11. Still working on CDPD.

#37786 - 31/08/2001 17:26 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, that must have been it. My wife's Palm is pretty old.

#37787 - 04/09/2001 16:39 Re: How about a Palm Pilot sync function [Re: ccrobin]
bobo

anybody tried coldsync ?
it supports IR-sync etc.
http://www.ooblick.com/software/coldsync/

bobo