Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131117 - 17/12/2002 10:02 Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
I am just wondering if anyone has managed to do this, I am using Mark Lord's pre built toolchain on my Linux box at home, and that works fine, but it doesn't do much in Cygwin.

I downloaded the skeleton from Mark's site and all the extra components that needs and I tried to build. After initial problems I removed the host and build options from the makefile configure calls (so it now identifies the machine as i686-pc-cygwin which looks right) but it still fails to build.

Looking at a log from the build, I get a similar warning for a number of libraries:
*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -liberty.
*** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
As well as liberty I have a similar warning for: lintl, lcygwin, lkernel32, lc
Then it crashes out with a whole load of undefined referances. At this point it is processing binutils-2.10.1/bfd/

So does anyone have any hints that could save me tracking this down the long way? I assume I am missing some libraries, I have a full log of all output from typing make if that is of any help to anyone.

Thanks,

#131118 - 17/12/2002 15:40 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Well in true "bad form" style, I am replying to my own post.

After a lot of 'tweaking' I almost got the toolchain to build, but it does appear to have almost built it, and has infact done enough for me to be able to build the stock 2.0b13 kernel under Cygwin (haven't tested it yet as I don't have my empeg with me, anyone feeling brave?).

Anyway the modified Makefile is attached, should anyone else want to try, when it fails on glibc - db2 you may need to cd to build-glibc/build and do a make install to get what it has built into the correct place.

I also tried building a kernel patched to Hijack 301, but that fails on something in arch/arm/mm/mm.o and I haven't looked into that yet as what I already have may be enough to allow me to continue working while I am travelling.

Attachments
130096-Makefile (227 downloads)

#131119 - 28/02/2003 11:22 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
jules

Loc: Indiana USA
Did you ever get to build a cross-compiler for CygWin? I've been trying forever and just cannot get it built. I did try the makefile you posted, and it got me a lot further, but it still fell short of compiling GCC and a few other files. It stopped at an error different than the one you mention. -Thanks

#131120 - 28/02/2003 16:20 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
oliver
addict

i also download all the bits, and cygwin. Your makefile. Had to remove the @ from the echo lines. For some reason it didn't like those. I kept getting errors when running ./makefile

A Buddy told me to run "make" then "make install"

I've ran the make command, and its been running for about 30min now. Note, i'm on a p4, 1.6, with 512/ram.

its on build-glibc/build/string i think right now

I haven't seen any errors pop up, but the text is moving pretty fast. Should i still type make install when make is complete?

#131121 - 01/03/2003 00:24 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: oliver]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Should i still type make install when make is complete?

Assuming you plan on using it, yes.

#131122 - 03/03/2003 10:24 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: jules]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Jules,

I never looked into it any further, as the stock B13 build I did worked fine on my player, and for the work I was planning on doing then working off the stock kernel would be fine, especially as I have a linux box at home that I can do my HiJacked builds on.

If people want this finished then I can probably look at it when I get a few minutes, but that could be a long time away, as work is chaos, I have just moved to a new house, and I still have a couple of USB tasks to finish. But if anyone would like my existing Cygwin toolchain then I could post that as a tar.

#131123 - 04/03/2003 17:42 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
jules

Chimaera,

If you could post your pre-built Cygwin toolchain that would be great. I'm embarased to admit how much time I have spent trying to set up a development environment. I do not have Linux/Unix box and all my boxes are NTFS so I can not install Linux and dual boot. I even tried to go the Knoppix/Samba way, but I could not compile the cross development toolchain because of some readonly issue in the usr/local under Knoppix. I'm currently set up to do remote compilation thanks to wfaulk. That has allowed me to think about my project and not about how to be able to build hello world. But I would really like to be able to do it localy. I know lots of others would appreciate it too. Please post it! Thanks!

#131124 - 05/03/2003 08:07 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: jules]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Jules,

OK, I have a gzipped tarball of the toolchain, it runs at about 18.5MB so I cannot attach it to this message, and I cannot get at my web server until this evening (corperate firewall prevents outgoing FTP), I may be able to email it if anyone is in a desperate hurry, just PM me your email address and I will try to get it sent out.

#131125 - 05/03/2003 13:01 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
jules

Chimaera,

Thanks! No hurry. Posting it when you get home will work for me. I need to download from a server. My mail server will not accept messages larger than 2mb.

#131126 - 05/03/2003 13:06 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: jules]
Chimaera
enthusiast

No Problem,

I just need to hope that UPS delivered my DSL modem today, otherwise it is 18MB over a 56K modem - Ouch

#131127 - 06/03/2003 07:43 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
Chimaera
enthusiast

OK, it is now online, and guess what, my DSL hasn't been activated yet, about 2 hours on a 56K modem if anyone is thinking of downloading it that way

Oh, it is here

#131128 - 06/03/2003 19:56 Re: Compiling the Empeg toolchain under cygwin [Re: Chimaera]
jules

THANKS!!!!