Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#253365 - 03/04/2005 18:58 Anyway I can backup RioCar music on my PC?
arvind_bk
stranger

I would like to use iTunes as my primary music database and sync that with my RioCar.

#253366 - 03/04/2005 19:44 Re: Anyway I can backup RioCar music on my PC? [Re: arvind_bk]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
I would like to use iTunes as my primary music database and sync that with my RioCar.

There's quite a number of threads on variations of this topic, one rather recent (I will try to find it and post a link to it later).

Is your music now on empeg only? If so, the simplest way to get it to the PC* is probably jEmplode (something like right-click on a playlist and choosing 'backup' or 'download' or whatever is the name of the option). You can even configure the file namimg pattern. Note, however, that jEmplode will use data in empeg database, not in ID3 tags. Editing tune info in emplode or jEmplode does not modify ID3 tags; that's why you will find the advice to tag your music carefully before uploading repeated here many times.

Once you get everything on your PC under control of iTunes, you again have several options. One is to simply keep desired directory structure on the PC and mirror it on empeg. If you are satisfied with simply adding newly acquired music from time to time manually, that's all. However, if you want to reflect hierarchy rearangement, tag editing etc, that's entirely diferent cup of tea. As I said, it has been discussed recently.

Sorry for a bit confused answer. If you need more details, shoot.

*) Except for strictly backup purpose. In the case you simply ftp everything over (including the special partition containing data like play counts) using ftp server built into Mark Lord's HiJack enhanced kernel.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#253367 - 03/04/2005 19:47 Re: Anyway I can backup RioCar music on my PC? [Re: bonzi]
arvind_bk
stranger

Thanks for the info. I will try JEmplode now.

#253368 - 03/04/2005 19:48 Re: Anyway I can backup RioCar music on my PC? [Re: arvind_bk]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Ah, yes, a longish and still active thread on controlling the entire collection from iTunes, to the point of constructing one's own sync procedure, is here.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#253369 - 22/06/2005 15:29 Re: Anyway I can backup RioCar music on my PC? [Re: arvind_bk]
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
Aha, so at least someone else will be interested in what I'm doing:-)

The idea is that ALL maintenance is done with iTunes and then regular (nightly if required) rebuilds of the special database (only takes a few minutes anyway) keeps the Rio stuff in sync, so my Rio Receivers should be able to play from up-to-date lists and syncing to the RioCar ought to be a simple process, with no need for any further manipulation of the playlists etc - that's all taken care of by iTunes.

I store the iTunes music files and it's XML database file on my linux server and mount the relevant volume on the Mac (and/or PC) via NFS. The server then reads the XML file and creates all the necessary stuff to drive the Rio Receivers using apache, either the original software or tRio for the Receivers. That bit all seems to work perfectly.

I am also creating a precise set of files (fids etc) on the server that then simply need to be uploaded to the RioCar, for which I am using rsync. The idea was that this could be done either from the command line on the empeg itself, or from the Hijack menu, or from the command line on the server. Unfortunately rsync has a problem if there's no terminal present, so only the first option works at present and that currently has an issue when doing the first bulk sync, which is what I'm working on at the moment.

Are you using iTunes on the Mac or PC?