Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20878 - 21/10/2000 16:46 new displayserver/applet including ir-support
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Guys,
I need some software testers. look here for the new and improved displayserver.
I'm trying to see if it will survive some stress tests.
you can click the buttons to operate the menu...
And don't worry, the download-function isn't implemented yet

You can connect to the empeg through ip portforwarding. port 13470 on empeg.dyndns.org forwards to port 13470 on the empeg in the internal network.

Frank van Gestel

#20879 - 21/10/2000 18:02 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
This is amazing!. It works virtualy without glitches on my lousy 30kb/s connection. Dropped frames are noticable, but not very much so. Button response is somewhat slugish, but also works (I didn't seem to be competing with anybody else while changing visuals and info mode ). MP3 list displays as HTML source in my Netscape 4.6 on RedHat 5.2, though.

Cheers!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#20880 - 21/10/2000 18:29 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
OMFG that is possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

#20881 - 22/10/2000 02:02 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

I'll have to leave in 10 minutes,so I am disconnecting the empeg.
Strange, the display on the real empeg is really messed up now, but the applet seems to work correct.
I will plug it in again this evening and you guys will probably get the source of the stuff...

Frank van Gestel

#20882 - 22/10/2000 08:07 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

It's back online...

Frank van Gestel

#20883 - 22/10/2000 11:48 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

I just noticed something funny,
when the player is in standby mode (hold top button),
the player's display is turned off. The applet still shows the selected visual and a rotating title of the last song...

Frank van Gestel

#20884 - 22/10/2000 13:06 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

Internet explorer had some problems...
They should be fixed now...

Frank van Gestel

#20885 - 23/10/2000 04:22 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: bonzi]
fvgestel
old hand

MP3list should now generate correct html file.
download of mp3's also works... (not in the demo)

Frank van Gestel

#20886 - 23/10/2000 09:30 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

Displayserver is back online. look here...

Frank van Gestel

#20887 - 23/10/2000 09:49 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
Where is the tar file? Are you going to release this for free or is this a commercial project?

John

#20888 - 23/10/2000 09:59 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
when the player is in standby mode (hold top button), the player's display is turned off. The applet still shows the selected visual and a rotating title of the last song...

You just discovered the Empeg's dirty little secret. When it goes into standby mode, all it does is pause the unit, turn off the display, turn off the amp remote line, and spin down the hard disks. Everything is still running, though.

#20889 - 23/10/2000 10:53 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: jwtadmin]
fvgestel
old hand

Hey, you know me, this is for free...
The main reason why I didn't release source yet, is that I think it isn't stable enough. I could only test over reliable network connections and that's why this link was here.
The remote operation of the empeg also incorperates a kernel-change in the IR-driver. I will post the kernel-change here for someone to get a good look at it, as I still think it is wrong( but hey, it works...)

static ssize_t ir_write(struct file *filp, const char *buf, size_t count,
loff_t *ppos)
{
struct empeg_ir_write {
int type;
ir_code ircode;
} *data;
struct ir_dev *dev = filp->private_data;

if ( count < sizeof(data) ) return count;
data = (struct empeg_ir_write *) buf;
#if IR_DEBUG
printk("count: %d.\n",count);
printk("type: %d.\n",data->type);
printk("ircode: %d.\n",data->ircode);
#endif
if ( data->type ) {
ir_append_data_repeat(dev,data->ircode);
} else {
ir_append_data_repeatable(dev,data->ircode);
}
return count;
}

static int ir_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp)
{
struct ir_dev *dev = ir_devices;

if ( (!(filp->f_flags & O_WRONLY)) && users )
return -EBUSY;
users++;
MOD_INC_USE_COUNT;

/* This shouldn't be necessary, but there's something (IDE, audio?)
* that's setting rather than or'ing these and breaking it after
* initialisation.
*/
GRER|=EMPEG_IRINPUT;
GFER|=EMPEG_IRINPUT;
GEDR=EMPEG_IRINPUT;

dev->ir_type = IR_TYPE_DEFAULT;
dev->repeat_delay_jiffies = IR_RPTDELAY_DEFAULT;
dev->repeat_interval_jiffies = IR_RPTINT_DEFAULT;
dev->repeat_timeout_jiffies = IR_RPTTMOUT_DEFAULT;
filp->private_data = dev;

return 0;
}

I think the problem is in ir_open. If I just return 0 after opening, I get a kernel-error after first write to /dev/ir, but it just doesn't feel right to reinitialize the private_data.
Any suggestions?...

Frank van Gestel

#20890 - 23/10/2000 11:42 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: jwtadmin]
fvgestel
old hand

About commercial software :
As I am a man who stands behind his principles, I will never commercially distribute software of this kind, as I would not be able to give 100% support for it.
It is much more important to share your knowledge instead of commercially exploiting bags of thin air with a nice package around it. ( I won't say any names )
Hasn't anybody noticed the sudden boom in so-called IT-professionals in the last five years? They predicted us that we wouldn't need more professionals, as anybody can operate a computer nowadays. The myth dies slowly...
I think if empeg would release it's code (which I don't encourage), it wouldn't damage the sales of the empeg, but probably boost it, as the player would perhaps be running on millions of computers though wouldn't reach the status of the native empeg version. Think of the advertising effect on that...
I don't like to get screwed by buying a $200.000 cluster if I want to set up high availability on SMTP(sendmail); it's like going out to buy a small car for your wife and end up with buying a truck(the salesman said that the groceries just won't fit)...
I make a living by providing solutions to real IT-problems and don't give advice to buy some software-product, because it has so many features you "could" use. All people want is their problem fixed, not more features that could give more problems.
It's scary to think about the future...
Well I'm just dwelling of the topic here, got to get some smokes soon...

If you're mad at god, pray like hell..

Frank van Gestel

#20891 - 23/10/2000 11:55 Re: new displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
Bill Walker
journeyman

Loc: NZ
Works very well... When do you think you'll let use all know how to do it???

Our office would do well from a remote controlled EMPEG, i'd love to get our techies to link it into our phone system ;)

-------------
MK II, (Blue but should be Amber) SN: 118

#20892 - 23/10/2000 12:54 Download displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
fvgestel
old hand

It's up for grabs - http://fvgestel.dyndns.org/empeg/displayserver_with_ir

Frank van Gestel

#20893 - 23/10/2000 18:28 Re: Download displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
upton
new poster

Wow - this is bloody brilliant (and useful)! Thanks so much for all your work Frank!

Couldn't believe my eyes when it worked *this* well!

Dave Upton
36G Blue waiting for Amber and Radio...

#20894 - 26/10/2000 20:08 Re: Download displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: upton]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
HOLY @#$!@!!!! I finally got time to mess around with this, and damn am i impressed. Frank, you win the Empeg hacker award of the month in my book. (with Tony winning next month for sure).

I think i can see where you are going with this... (i hope at least).

Streaming mp3 server that you can access and queue songs on via a web page anyone?

once again, the people on this BBS never cease to amaze. =]

|| loren.cox

#20895 - 29/10/2000 20:46 Re: Download displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: fvgestel]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
This thing is cool! Now how do I post it on my web page for friends to see without exposing my whole 192.168.***.*** network? How did you do it?

Sean

Empeg 12 gig green 080000078

#20896 - 30/10/2000 01:08 Re: Download displayserver/applet including ir-support [Re: Terminator]
fvgestel
old hand

I've got a linux server as gateway/firewall between my private network and the internet. Your kernel must be compiled with firewalling enabled and ip-portforwarding.
Then you can use the following command to forward ip-traffic from the firewall to your empeg :

ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L <internet ip-address of firewall> <portnumber> -R <ip-address of your empeg> <port of displayserver>

example:
ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L fvgestel.dyndns.org 13470 -R 192.168.12.2 80

Frank van Gestel