Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132520 - 31/12/2002 13:47 Jemplode fails to find empeg when proxy set (OS X)
drakino
carpal tunnel

JEmplode (version 2.0b11 and 45) won't discover my empeg attached to ethernet. I even tried entering the specific IP, and no devices could be found. When I opened the Network system preference and disabled all the proxies set (FTP, HTTP, HTTPS and SOCKS), JEmplode could find my empeg either by broadcast or specific IP.

Any ideas on this one?

Also, does JEmplode support proxies for updating Hijack and JEmplode?

#132521 - 31/12/2002 16:28 Re: Jemplode fails to find empeg when proxy set (OS X) [Re: drakino]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Sorry -- no proxy support...

#132522 - 31/12/2002 18:29 Re: Jemplode fails to find empeg when proxy set (O [Re: mschrag]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Just discovered the problem after having issues with Gallery Remote (another Java program) earlier.

SOCKS proxy settings in OS X.2.3 screw with Java programs that use the network. Gallery Remote was spewing all sorts of strange errors into its log, but once I unchecked the SOCKS proxy in the system preferences, it worked fine. I opened JEmplode, and it found my empeg right away via a network broadcast.

Also, once I disabled SOCKS proxy support, JEmplode was able to detect the HTTP proxy settings properly, and pull down Hijack 301.

#132523 - 01/01/2003 08:00 Re: Jemplode fails to find empeg when proxy set (O [Re: drakino]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Basically Java doesn't provide any mechanism to get at the "system proxy settings" primarily because on Windows there isn't really a good generic defintion of "system proxy settings" (since it's actually part of the browser rather than the system -- for instance, IE has its settings which could be totally different than Mozilla).

In programs I've written before, I had to use JNI to get at the Registry to be able to import IE's proxy settings. Now what I _may_ do is include HTTPClient from http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/ and just add some proxy configuration options into jEmplode. There haven't been many requests for this one, though, so it's sort of a low priority.

Incidentally, if you use an Applet through the Java Plugin, it _will_ use the proper proxy settings (as it imports them from the browser itself).

ms