Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13872 - 14/08/2000 02:58 Tetris game
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I have finished a very simple tetris game for the empeg. You can download it at the bottom of my empeg page here.

Don't expect the greatest program, but check it out and let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#13873 - 14/08/2000 03:55 Re: Tetris game [Re: bmihulka]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Cool, I tried it on my MKI R1 worked like a charm.

Whats needed now is an menu option to start external programs like tetris.....and others to come??

TommyE

#13874 - 14/08/2000 12:38 Re: Tetris game [Re: TommyE]
bmihulka
enthusiast

You know what would be really cool, is if you could run external programs that would takover the display and controls but keep the music playing in the background.

#13875 - 14/08/2000 17:27 Re: Tetris game [Re: bmihulka]
brianosaurus
new poster

I had started to work on a window manager sort of thing that would handle the display while other apps would send it "windows" (rectangles) to put on the screen. The window manager would also
have to intercept some buttons or something to allow you to switch between apps.

It sounds like the empeg guys are going to something like this soon, so I abandoned my project (for now, anyways). I was stuck trying to figure out a way to fake the main player grabbing the display. Maybe using a "phantom device" like the IR remote hack someone did a while back...

brian

#13876 - 14/08/2000 17:46 Re: Tetris game [Re: TommyE]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We're currently considering our options for supporting multiple applications on the player. To put the player into the background and grant another application access to the UI sounds straight forward, but it's actually a rather involved task - especially if that application wants to access disks for any reason.

Quitting the player entirely and switching to another application is an easier option for the time being, and could be accomplished in a user friendly way by means of an Applications menu. There is already the facility to add a Quit option to the main menu, via the config.ini file, but this currently needs a task launcher to take care of booting the next application and then reloading the player after the application terminates.

My personal preference for the time being is to provide the Applications menu and a means for applications to register themselves, play nicely, and exit gracefully. We also hope to provide some UI libraries in the not too distant future to encourage some consistancy between applications.

The final solution to these problems will probably depend upon a co-operative effort with the application developers.

Rob

#13877 - 15/08/2000 02:30 Re: Tetris game [Re: brianosaurus]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Surely all we need to do is get Hugo et al to port the player to X...

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#13878 - 04/09/2000 13:56 Re: Tetris game [Re: bmihulka]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Any chance you are going to be updating it with bells n' whistles? (Skill levels, more keys such as drop, handicaps, etc)? If not, would you consider releasing the source code so someone could undertake that job? I have a feeling this is going to be popular when the menu system improves for launching custom apps...

(O|||||O)

hmm.. maybe I need to roll my Jeep onto its side so I can play tetris from the correct angle... ;)

#13879 - 04/09/2000 14:35 Re: Tetris game [Re: ClemsonJeep]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I was thinking about adding features or releasing the code. The question right now is time. Both acts will take some time, because I used some non free libraries, I would have to eliminate those first before I release it. As it stands right now there is sort of a level setting, I think I make it speed up every 10 lines cleared, although it may not be too noticeable. I don't want to make any promises, but I find it highly likely that when the player allows for module type additions the code will be updated or released.

Brian

#13880 - 18/09/2000 14:34 config.ini options [Re: rob]
bobo

what exectly has to be added to the config.ini to show the quit-option in the palyer ?

bobo

#13881 - 18/09/2000 15:13 Re: config.ini options [Re: bobo]
BillB

Loc: Orlando, FL USA

[Menu]
Quit=1

Bill B.
Mk.2 SN 080000183 - 18 GB /
Green

#13882 - 18/09/2000 23:33 Re: Tetris game [Re: bmihulka]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I appologize if this is too much, but would it be possible to describe the proccess involved in getting you tetris program running on my empeg? As most people on this board know by now, I'm not one for this stuff. I really don't know how to go about doing this. It's frustrating, cause I can usually figure most computer stuff out for myself.

If this isn't something I should try, not being programmer-oriented as I am, it's okay. I'll wait until there's an easier way to do it.

Thanks

DiGNAN

#13883 - 19/09/2000 04:58 Re: Tetris game [Re: Dignan]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
the easiest way to do it is follow the directions on some guy's website. remember the guy (can't think of his username for the life of me) who started one of the top 5 controversial threads about the empeg not being a good deal b/c it didn't come preloaded with ftp, telnet, http, fbi databases, etc?

http://empeg.weblogger.com

check out his site. i think it is under the "How I Do" section. he actually has alot of useful info you may want to read. hope this helps.

don't forget to get the directions on how to use it (i.e. which button flips pieces, etc.) off of bmikhulka's website.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#13884 - 19/09/2000 14:27 Re: Tetris game [Re: jstrain]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
(can't think of his username for the life of me) who started one of the top 5 controversial threads about the empeg

That would be our friend fox. That thread started here

While his tactfulness may have been questioned, there were good reports on the contents of his website.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#13885 - 19/09/2000 20:12 Re: Tetris game [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Oh yeah, that was funny. And sort of the opposite of HighWayDrifter, he added unnecessary punctuation, like: suck's
No, I'm not pickin on ya HWD

DiGNAN

#13886 - 26/09/2000 17:31 Tetris Version 0.2 [Re: bmihulka]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I got bored today so I did some slight modifications to my tetris game. I have added a drop button. Only the simple press once and drop all the way. I also fixed the speed up code, in the previous version I don't think it sped up at all. This time it should be noticeable every ten lines cleared. That's all for now. You can get it from my empeg page at the bottom, or the direct link here.

#13887 - 19/10/2000 15:15 emptris version 0.2 [Re: bmihulka]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I have changed the name of my tetris clone to emptris and released the code under the GPL. As always you can get it from my empeg page under the programming heading. If you don't want the code you don't need to download the file as the program has not changed.

Brian