Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#32687 - 13/06/2001 18:18 Reprogram telephone mute?
tom
new poster

Loc: Stamford, CT, USA
Would it be possible to reprogram the +12V cell phone mute action?
Here's why I ask:
I purchased the sony CDX-1000RF cd-player as an add-on to my empeg.
It is only a cd-player- no radio, no tape deck, no cd-changer controls, no clock, etc...
The thing has power leads, an amp remote line and 1 pair of preamp outs (into my empeg)
the power lines are spliced on, and the amp remote wire is useless because the empeg controls the amp's power. if they empeg is off, the amp is off, but the sony player wouldn't have worked anyway.
also, i should note that the sony player stays powered off, unless it is playing something (which can be stopped with the off button).

Here is my proposal:
if I wire the amp remote on the sony player to the tel mute on the empeg, when I power on the cd-player (with the play button) the empeg will receive the tel mute command, and mute the audio.
Is there a way to interrupt that sequence? can I get it to listen for the tel mute, but when it receives it to switch to aux input instead?
this way, i can pop in a cd, hit play, and it starts playing. then, i can hit off, and my mp3's come back on.

This seems ideal, probably also quite complex, but any feedback would be great!

- Tom

p.s. its a mk.2 player, with the 1.02 dev software

#32688 - 13/06/2001 18:33 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: tom]
drakino
carpal tunnel

This may be possible depending if something outside the player software can see the fact that the telephone mute is active. If I remember right, something in /proc indicates this, so a program that monitors that could then fake the IR signal to switch over to aux. Frank, you seem to be the resident expert on faking IR and button presses, do you have a program that lets you send IR commands from the empeg command prompt? With something like that combined with a basic looping shell script, this should be easy to pull off.

#32689 - 13/06/2001 22:07 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What about that Sony switcher box that a few folks have used in their installs? Perhaps creative wiring with that box will allow the CD player to work the way you intend, without any empeg-reprogramming. Press play on the CD box, and it switches the RCA lines to the CD player. The empeg could also pause from the same line as if it were tel-muted. Dunno if it'd work, but it's something to think about anyway.

#32690 - 14/06/2001 00:04 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: drakino]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
do you have a program that lets you send IR commands from the empeg command prompt?

Yes, and also one to send serial commands, though this sounds more like something that could/should be implemented in the kernel.

Frank van Gestel

#32691 - 14/06/2001 02:02 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: tom]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
This seems like a lot of watsed effort when you could use a Sony XA-39 (MK2) to do the same thing. The box takes the turn on leads from both head units to decide which signal to send to the amp. It also has its own turn on lead to turn on the amp whenever either unit is on. I believe that it if both head units are on, the box will pick one of them, I'm totally not sure how it does this, but i think it's the first unit on, so the only advantage to hacking the kernal here is not having to turn off the empeg (plus not having to buy the XA-39, plus equalizer on the cd, plus mythical cd visualizations in 1.1) Still probably not worth it, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

#32692 - 14/06/2001 06:46 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: fvgestel]
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Frank, would your program be able to send commands to the serial port, when the player is in AUX mode. (Commands based on the buttons from either the front panel of the player, or from the remote controll.)

TommyE

#32693 - 14/06/2001 09:11 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: johnmcd3]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Right, the Xa-39, that's the one. That's what I was talking about in my other reply to this question.

#32694 - 14/06/2001 09:48 Re: Reprogram telephone mute? [Re: TommyE]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
IR-commands cannot be sent to the serial port.
I hacked the IR-driver so that any process running on the empeg can write an IR-code to /dev/ir, which gets passed to any application reading /dev/ir; in this case the player application.
I also found out it was possible to fake incoming serial data from applications running on the empeg.
Some serial commands:

n: next song
q: quit player and start shell
#fid: start playing MP3 with specific fid

There's a more complete list on the developer site.

Frank van Gestel