Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34693 - 18/07/2001 18:23 Init standards and other things
drakino
carpal tunnel

Ok, it has been suggested elsewhere that we (we being empeg addon developers) come to a standard on the pre player enviornment. I'd like to start with some ideas, and expand it to an overall standard.

First. We need one simple init that looks to the standard file location to run.

Second. We need some sort of specific system for what should be started first, etc. A system has been suggested similar to the standard S and K links in modern distributuions. It has also been suggested to have "run levels". Ideas for this would be one for home, and others for the multiple car IDs from the tuner, plus probably at least 2 openended ones. Overall total is going to be high depending if it is decided to support the multiple car IDs.

Third. All the scripts should be on /drive0 somewhere, or the unformatted 32 meg partition. This basicially also covers where programs should also be installed. Putting them on /drive0 should allow for enough space in the future, and recovery form an .upgrade run. A simple copy of the init would restore everything idealially. For more space, a link could be made to drive1 if on a multi drive system.

That should get the discussion started. A standard will definitly help, as work can then be started on things like automated installers, so that people who don't know linux can easially add things onto the empeg.

#34694 - 19/07/2001 00:28 Re: Init standards and other things [Re: drakino]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I agree that we should install additional software on /drive0/<something>, I also agree that we should find a way to set up different programs depending on the different physical environments (in car/at home etc.). I don't know wether the different tuner-module-IDs will be available before the player gets first started, but that could be handled by starting a background job that first waits a certain amount of time (e.g. 10 seconds) and than checks for the ID. I will try to suggest a certain layout now, based on my thoughts about this subject. One thing though: I do think that we don't need any kill scripts, because in my opinion, this would simply be overkill. The environment does not change while the empeg is powered up, so a different startup, based on the current environment should be enough. Ok, here is my suggestion:

locationdescription
/usr/locala link to /drive0/local
/drive0/local/init.dcontains all startup scripts that are currently installed
/drive0/local/init.d/car/links to each startup script that should be called on bootup when in car
/drive0/local/init.d/car/<id>/links to each startup script that should be called on bootup, but only when the <id> is already read from the tuner module
/drive0/local/init.d/car/delayed/links to scripts that should be run when in car, but only after the player got started already
/drive0/local/init.d/car/delayed/<id>/links to each startup script that should be called on bootup, but only when the <id> is already read from the tuner module and the player has already been started
/drive0/local/init.d/home/links to script that should be started when on AC power (at home)
/drive0/local/init.d/home/delayed/links to scripts that should only be started after player startup, when at home
/drive0/local/reconfiga script that re-enables this layout after a player upgrade
/drive0/local/<package>/directory that contains all files of a certain package, layout below this directory is up to the respective packages developer, but should use .../bin/ for the executables, .../etc/ for the configuration files and .../lib/ for everything else.
/sbin/init.origa backup of the original init script
/sbin/initour custom init script that supports the above layout
/drive0/local/bin/contains generally available tools such as sort, tr, wc, du,...

The links to the real init scripts should be named <id><package>, where <id> is a two digit decimal number, where the lowest <id> gets started first.
What do you think?

#34695 - 18/08/2001 22:17 Re: Init standards and other things [Re: smu]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Just wanted to bring this thread back up. The layout definitly looks nice, now all we need is the custom init to maintain this, and an easy way to install it as well. With the upgrade file format now being known, an upgrade could be made with a custom init to get this setup on an empeg for the first time. Also, for packages to be installed later, an upgrade file could be generated with the needed install files, along with a script somewhere that the custom init here knows to look for to then launch the install process. As a precaution, there should be something put on the display to indicate the install is proceding, and to not power down the empeg.