since no one commented on my previous idea of a local association file between crcs and filenames, i'm just going to assume that was a bad idea (or none of you take me serious because my handle consists of uppercase consonants [in which case i'd like to get it changed <-- directed to the red names]). but i still want the slow load up time of my mp3 tree (per this method) to be addressed and hopefully fixed.

so this is my next proposal. when we first discussed deduping, i proposed a crc check that took x bytes per interval. that was shot down because of the chance of collisions. i say that we additionally implement a crc check that includes the front 16k, middle 16k, and back 16k bytes. would be called shorthash in the tag. the sole purpose is for syncing my treelist quickly and getting new songs in my empeg. if a file's shorthash == one in the database, its a dupe. if not, generate the real crc check and add. as an option, you can override and do full crc checks during the sync if your paranoid about collisions. if you do an override, and it finds two files with the same shorthash, but not the same hash, jemplode notifies the user.

i also would like to see a hash<>fid association file implemented. this will be for the people that want to keep their plays counters intact while upgrading/reformatting their hard drives. just make the association file, backup the dynamic data partition using DD, do what you need to do w/ the drive, use jemplode w/ a hash<>fid function to resync, and restore dynamic data using DD again. wallah... your plays counters are back.

i've also gotten creative with deletion. if i'm listening on my workstation and i dont like a track, i would usually delete the file off my hdd and then do the same on the empeg. everyone knows that this is sometimes too hard to keep track (hence the call for real pc<>empeg syncs). what i've done is made a RECYCLE BIN folder in the root of my mp3tree. whenever i want to delete a file, i move it to the folder. then when i sync using jemplode, it makes a ref of the song on the playlist of the same name. then i delete it both locally and "remove completely" from the empeg. my idea is to implement something like this: on sync, all tracks a designated folder that is named in the config will be removed completely. manual deletion wont be needed anymore and we're one step closer to automatic pc<>empeg syncs.

well, those are my ideas. probably no one will reply again because they're way out there and the only person who would have any use of the features are myself.... but alas, i wish i can program in java but i can't (believe me i tried ... looking at the source made my head hurt =).

comments?