OMFG, I'm am such an idiot. @$#^%!@!!!

I was working on my first app when I thought of another app that the empeg desperately needed. So I took a several day break from application A to write application B. My reasoning for this was that I was going to use the menu structure from app B in A. So I spent maybe 20 to 30 hours working on this new program and I finish it. I am so proud, 'cause it's my first big app and frankly, its really fscking good!

So I go to riocar.org to post it before I write it up here and (get this) there is another app (that I'd never heard of) that did more or less the same thing already posted to riocar.org. %^^$%&$%&. How frustrating!

The app was a text file viewer that allowed you to browse your empeg and view text files. Mine was still a little better (IMHO) as it had a nice menu structure, command line options, and customizable font and line spacing (changable from the menu). Mine also did automatic word wrap so words were not broken up across a line break. Mine also allowed you to view paragraphs that were longer than the display (This one cuts off a line that fills up more than the display.)

Jeez, I'm already using past tense. I still get to use the new menu structure and directory implementation in the app I'm still working on. I suppose I'll still post it here and at riocar.org once I tidy up the source and write a readme. Darn, what a bummer.

John

P.S. Application A I'm still working on and is about 80% complete. It is a job control app that lets you start and stop programs from the hijack menu. I think it will be very valuble because this way you won't need to have apps like emptriv running every time you are using your empeg. This way the player will have more memory availble for caching, and you be able to start files whenever you want, even if you are away from your computer (like in you car.) Basically this program will be attached to your init and start every time you boot your empeg (its memory footprint is very reasonable.) Then, via a hijack menu, you can bring up a list of common apps that you use or browse the file structure for an unlisted app. You can also close (technically SIGINT, so they can do cleanup) programs that you no longer need. Hopefully noone has secretly written this also!!!

P.P.S I was going to call the viewer empedit, because I was (or maybe still am) planning on having it be able to edit files with the remote. (I was going to see if we could address the read write issue of the drives in the car at the same time.) I'm not going to worry about this until I get the job control one finished though.