jEmplode 62 is up -- for those who don't mind being total gineau pigs, this one is probably going to have some funky soup issues (you won't lose music or anything, you just might have weirdness in your soups until I work the kinks out) ... I really need to start keeping old versions up there. Didn't think about it until I already uploaded 61. Oh well. So be it

OK, so what this adds is a bunch of fanciness for sorting soups (see the "HELP!! Importing files by track order number in Jemplode 60" in General). The rough overview is that every soup layer now has a "sort by tag" pulldown on it that controls what the sort order will be for everything below that tag. Additionally there is a new layer available called "Tracks Sort Layer." This is really only useful as the very last layer and basically lets you just change the final sort order (without that, the tracks in the last layer would inherit the order of the parent layer).

So for instance, you can now make a soup:

Artists, sorted by Artist
Albums, sorted by Year
Tracks, sorted by Track Number

At least that's the THEORY anyway. Just in case you're curious, a Sorted Tracks layer at the top layer is very similar to a sorted All Layer except that All Layer only incluides type = "tune". That is, if you cared

I'm curious about three major issues:
1) does it work at all -- it appears to work in my test simple cases, but there are a lot of crazy cases for these things

2) does it update properly across several syncs of adding music, modifying tags

3) how dramatically does it affect performance as compared to the previous soups. In the old soups, soup playlists were always sorted by "title", so when hunting for the appropriate nested playlists, I was always searching in the same order of the natural sort, which is a somewhat substantial optimization. In the new way, I can only do that if you are sorted by title, otherwise I have to fall back to a linear search.

Oh yeah, unspecified sort is interpreted as title, so it should behave like it used to -- so if you have old soups, they should continue to work.

ms