Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#61620 - 20/01/2002 23:55 2000 Mustang Question
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
OK, My new Empeg Mk2 is coming in Tuesday.. Is it easy or even possible to use just the main head unit (move it to the bottom DIN) AND the Empeg in the top DIN w/o running into interference issues? Like what happens if they're both on at the same time? Do I just use an RCA Y coupler? Or is there some better way I don't know about? My current Head is the standard stock Ford Tape deck/w seperate CD player. I don't care about the CD, but I WOULD like radio on occasion. And since the Empeg tuner modules are no longer in stock, well....

#61621 - 21/01/2002 00:09 Re: 2000 Mustang Question [Re: lectric]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
If your existing deck has low level outs you may connect those to the empegs aux input. There are high-to-low level converters available if it doesn't.

If your existing deck has low level inputs you can put the empegs low level outs into that. There might be an adapter that transforms your CD changer input to normal low lovel inputs.

There are RCA switches that take 2 sets of low level outs as well as the remote on wires. Output is one set of low level outs and one remote wire to control your amps. One unit is the primary - if this is on, its outputs are selected by the switch. If it is off, the other (secondary) unit is selected.

While simple Y-cables might work if you always only have on unit on, if you forget, or someone else who uses the car - you might let out expensive smoke...

Also check out the installation part of the FAQ at http://www.riocar.org

/Michael

#61622 - 21/01/2002 00:24 Re: 2000 Mustang Question [Re: mtempsch]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Hmm... That's what I kinda thought.. I wasn't sure the Empeg had low-level ins on it. That's cooool. Takes care of all my questions. Thanks so much.

Lec

#61623 - 21/01/2002 04:28 Re: 2000 Mustang Question [Re: lectric]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Just remember that without the empeg in the car you can not listen to the radio either (if you go radio low level out -> empeg low level in)

/Michael

#61624 - 21/01/2002 10:25 Re: 2000 Mustang Question [Re: lectric]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I own a 1999 Mustang and I decided to forego the factory head unit and get one with a CD player. This was way before the tuner module existed. I put the Empeg in the top and the Kenwood head in the bottom. It worked out great. Now I have the tuner module and can use that, or when my Empeg isn't in the car, I can use the one on my head unit. Plus I can play the occasional CD if I need to, though that only happens when friends bring their music for long trips.

In your situation, I am not sure how you're going to go about connecting the factory head to the Empeg... From what I remember the stock CD player and head unit connect via a proprietary plug. I don't remember seeing any RCA's on either the head or the CD player. It's possible they've changed things, but since 2000 was just a carryover year, I don't know how much they would have done with the radio... So you might have to find some kind of adaptor.

Just a word of warning from someone who has his stock Ford radio in a cardboard box somewhere.

#61625 - 21/01/2002 10:26 Re: 2000 Mustang Question [Re: mtempsch]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
And the Empeg has no amplifier, so he'd need an external amp if he went that direction. The other direction (Empeg -> low-level in on head unit) is the only way to go without buying an amp.