Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#104060 - 09/07/2002 19:34 Convert double din to single din?
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I have a recent model honda prelude that (theoreticaly) has a doubble din opening. I say theoreticaly because the factory CD player and the empeg won't fit at the same time, but I think the problem is that both of their faceplates are larger than the DIN opening. So, after six months of never ordering the plug I need to hook up my factory HU, I ripped it out and put the orginal pocket in that came with the car.

The pocket doesn't fit quite right, as it's made to seal up with the slightly-larger-than-din-sized stereo, so it needs to be replaced. Because the empeg's fascia goes up higher than the din opening, if it's in the top DIN slot it won't slide in and out without serious dremmeling that I'm not willing to do. I don't like the look of the pocket on top anyways, so what I'm looking for is some sort of black plastic peice that will fit into the doubble DIN and leave me with one single DIN in the middle of it and will hopefully help support the empeg so it's stable. Any Ideas? I'll go made the rounds around town tomorrow to see what the local shops might have...

Matthew

#104061 - 09/07/2002 19:51 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: matthew_k]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
All of the problems you described could be solved simply by getting a proper installation kit from Crutchfield or a similar source.

With that said, I put my player in my Honda, using the factory pocket, without an installation kit. It looks perfect and slides in and out without the slightest trouble. Pictures are here.

Oh, and if your Honda is anything like mine or my wife's Hondas, they are NOT double-din. They are like 1.75-din or something like that. Some have managed to cram an aftermarket stereo in along with an empeg, but it wasn't easy.

#104062 - 10/07/2002 09:33 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

Tony, I noticed the trim plate you use to hide the empeg's sled in your install. Do you think that same part would work in my Civic (98 EX 2DR)? The empeg will be installed in the upper dash, which is a standard DIN, and I already have the appropriate trim plate, so it will fit nicely.

Edit:
I couldn't find anything like it in my console.

Edited by DeadFire (10/07/2002 10:05)

#104063 - 10/07/2002 10:16 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You'll note that the part I ordered to cover the hole isn't on the parts-list for my model of Honda, either. I couldn't find that part listed for my 2000 Accord. The page I ordered it from was for a 1990 Civic if I recall correctly. It didn't matter to me, I just needed the DIN-sized plastic cover plate. So I'm guessing that exact part would work for you, too.

#104064 - 10/07/2002 10:30 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

Thanks.

So, you're sure it's #37? Because 37 is "PANEL ASSY., RADIO", and 38 is "PANEL, RADIO", and I can't really tell by looking at the diagram you pointed to. How did you find that part on that site anyway? I certainly wouldn't have thought to look at parts for older cars.

#104065 - 10/07/2002 10:38 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So, you're sure it's #37? Because 37 is "PANEL ASSY., RADIO", and 38 is "PANEL, RADIO", and I can't really tell by looking at the diagram you pointed to.

Hmm. Actually, I'm not so certain, now that you mention it...

I'll try to do some research on the subject and get back to you.

#104066 - 10/07/2002 10:58 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, now I'm reasonably sure that 37 is the correct part. It is definitely not 38, because 38 is clearly illustrated as being a trim ring, not a cover plate.

The reason it's called an "assembly" is that it includes some little metal spring clips, which I had to remove in order to get it to work for my purposes. I also had to trim some bits of the plastic carefully so that it would seat properly.

The original thread where I discovered the part and reported on it is here. However, the link that I posted in that old thread is broken because Majestic Honda changed their web page catalog code.

#104067 - 10/07/2002 20:20 Re: Convert double din to single din? [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

Thanks for your help. I'll probably have to modify it a bit like you did. But it will take care of my discomfort towards having an open sled easily visible in my upper dash when I'm not in the car.

I'll probably order it tomorrow, and may attempt to install the empeg this weekend. I wanted to wait until I had an amp and everything else that would go in, but money is tight lately, and I've grown impatient.