Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105903 - 18/07/2002 17:33 6 months , now finally installed... but...
LiFTeD2X
new poster

my installer doesn't know how to do it right? they call him "master installer" for the shop who couldn't read the instructions in the manual... even my friend who installed 2 other empegs could do it... but he wasn't available at the time of the install... my friend says there is only 4 wires to deal with!!!!!!! i say WTF?

things not completed:

ground loops -- alternator whine.
remote amp wire -- master installer couldn't detect a volt on the blue wire!
tuner - not even connected.

question is:

can the remote amp wire kickstart 3 compoents? (2 amps, 1 audiocontrol)
do i need a relay? what kind if i do?

any other suggestions, please let me know. i'm paying them a visit tomorrow.

#105904 - 18/07/2002 17:56 Re: 6 months , now finally installed... but... [Re: LiFTeD2X]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Find another installer. And read the sections in the FAQ about the tuner (in the Troubleshooting section) and about the ground loop (in the installation section).

Your friend is right, there are only 4 wires to deal with:

- Continuous power
- Ignition switched power
- Amp remote
- Ground.

Pretty much everything else is optional, such as the headlight sense wire and perhaps the cell phone mute wire. But they should be all pretty clearly labeled, if not at least carefully described in the manual. Of course, amplifiers always complicate an install, but if this guy is such a master installer, he should have installed hundreds of amps already.

So yeah, get a refund and run away from that installer as fast as you can. Find someone else.

Regarding the amp remote wire: Its job is to signal to the other devices when they should turn on. It does not "kickstart" anything, and therefore does not need to supply a lot of power. Your amplifiers should be connected directly to the battery (with a proper weatherproof fuse block in the engine compartment of course) and getting their power from that location, so the amp remote wire does not power them, it just signals them. So you should be able to connect a bunch of amps to that amp remote wire as long as they are connected PROPERLY.

#105905 - 21/07/2002 02:19 Re: 6 months , now finally installed... but... [Re: tfabris]
LiFTeD2X
new poster

Thanks Tony.

We found out it was sled that was the problem. Somehow the remote amp wire was not working. It might be a resistor that was blown? I'm not sure. I brought another sled and it worked... I might have to contact support and get the sled replace?

#105906 - 21/07/2002 05:10 Re: 6 months , now finally installed... but... [Re: LiFTeD2X]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I might have to contact support and get the sled replace?

You might not want to bother with that much hassle. Click here and see if that's your problem. If so, there are repair instructions and a video right there. If you don't want to do the repair yourself, then yes you can contact support. The replacement part will be the docking connector assembly only, not the whole sled.