Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#114306 - 02/09/2002 10:34 Yet another docking ethernet/power adapter...
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Well, I wanted to add ethernet to the sled on the boat, so it was time to make another ethernet adapter. I decided to try clear acrylic. I got a remnant piece of 1/2" acrylic from a local plastics shop for $2 and made one (ethernet-only) and liked it enough that I made a 2nd ethernet/power adapter for my in-progress home dock #2. I added 2 pics on riocar.org: here and here.

The big advantage of the acrylic is that I could screw it to the sled, insert the Empeg, and then use a marker to draw cross-hairs for ethernet/power hole drilling. I used a 3/8" forster bit to drill each of those and then expanded/shaped with a dremel. I also used the forster to countersink some indents for the rear mounting bolt and to make sure the acrylic cleared the DB9 connector. I used 3 1/2" #10 sheet metal screws to secure the acrylic. The acrylic is pretty brittle, so I had to drill holes for those screws that were almost as big as the screws themselves, otherwise it would start to shatter as you turned the screws in. I think Lexan-type acrylic is a little less brittle, so if you could find a scrap of that, it might be easier to work with.

I followed Tony's example with hot-melt glue. It doesn't adhere too well to the acrylic, but by building a lot of it up on the backside of the sled, it seems to hold the two plugs pretty firmly. I just had to work fast to get it on there and positioned initially (with Empeg inserted) before it cooled, then I built up more on the back..

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#114307 - 02/09/2002 11:33 Re: Yet another docking ethernet/power adapter... [Re: jimhogan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
As to shattering due to the screws, IIRC (was a while ago I worked with acrylic) it takes a tap pretty good, possibly use a hair bigger drill than in alu or steel.
Then use machine screws to fasten it to the cage...

/Michael

#114308 - 02/09/2002 21:26 Re: Yet another docking ethernet/power adapter... [Re: mtempsch]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
IIRC (was a while ago I worked with acrylic) it takes a tap pretty good,

I'd bet that's the case. The screws wound up just fine -- nice grip actually -- but might have tried machine screws if I had short ones on hand. If I did that and had the glue gun warmed up, I'd probably squirt some glue on them by way of an ersatz lock washer.

Now if I can get digital output soldered...and get more Brian buttons...I'll be having fun!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#114309 - 02/09/2002 22:55 Re: Yet another docking ethernet/power adapter... [Re: mtempsch]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
In reply to:

IIRC (was a while ago I worked with acrylic) it takes a tap pretty good,

I've had lots of experience tapping acrylic and can tell you it taps very well.

Stu