Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#149941 - 23/03/2003 20:20 Need help troubleshooting.
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
I thas been awhile since I've been here and that is because all has been well with my empeg!

However, now I am not getting any sound out of my front left speaker. I did not do the install and I am not skilled enough to try many things, so I am trying to troubleshoot it before deciding what to do.

First, it is an empeg Mk II (non-RIO), 18GB. I have a Profile BR440 (4 channel, 100W/channel) amp.

What I have done is taken the input lines (they are RCA jacks) and moved them around, but no matter where I move the front-left cable, no sounds come out of other speakers. Also, putting a working cable (say, front-right) on the front-left jack does not make the speaker work either.

So, I am unsure what the problem is (amp, empeg, or speaker).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#149942 - 23/03/2003 21:06 Re: Need help troubleshooting. [Re: Squid2k1]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
If you move the front left input line to annother amp input, and you still don't get that channel on that speaker, then it's definately a problem with either the input line, or the connection at the empeg.

#149943 - 24/03/2003 08:24 Re: Need help troubleshooting. [Re: Squid2k1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
So you're saying that if you remove all of the cables from the amp and then plug the front-left cable into any input, you still get no output. In addition, if you plug any cable into the front-left input, you get no sound from the front left speaker, despite the fact that all but one of those cables works in all of the other inputs.

That sounds to me like you've got two different problems. You've got a problem with in the amp-cable-speaker chain and you've got a problem in the empeg-cable-amp chain.

Unfortunate.

The only one that could be related directly to the empeg is the empeg-cable-amp chain, but I doubt it is. It's most likely the cabling, though it's possible that some pins on the docking sled have come loose.

#149944 - 24/03/2003 08:34 Re: Need help troubleshooting. [Re: wfaulk]
Squid2k1

Let me clarify that the RCA cables are the input into the amp, so they are the cables from the empeg connection. I have not messed with the cables going from the amp to the speakers as they are in a position where I can not get to them without taking my seat off, which I am not prepared to do.

But, yes, no matter what cable I try in the front-left input line, nothing comes out of the left front speaker. I still need to remove my door's cover (which is a real PITA) to double check the speaker connections, though.

I was thinking the same thing (possibly 2 problems) about not getting sound out of the front left speaker no matter what cable I try. I am gonna double check it tonight just to make sure, though.

Thanks.

#149945 - 24/03/2003 23:30 Re: Need help troubleshooting. [Re: Squid2k1]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
It sounds as though you have somewhat isolated your problem, if I am understanding correctly.

You can take an RCA cable from the empeg, let's say right rear, which you know works, and plug it into the front left input of the amp and no sound is produced from that speaker.

If so, then it is a problem between the amp and the speaker. Just to make sure you do not have multiple problems, plug the front left RCA from the empeg into the right rear of the amp and make sure that it produces sound. Eliminate the empeg or cables from the empeg to the amp first.

It sounds like this is where you are. If so then you are on the right track. Check the easiest things first, whichever those are. Wire connections to the speakers, wire connections at the amp for the speakers. Possibly the wire itself is pinched and broken somewhere, and worst of all, possibly something is wrong with the amp.

#149946 - 30/04/2003 05:26 Re: Need help troubleshooting. [Re: lockuplever]
Squid2k1

Just to followup since it has been awhile. Last night I finally decided to try removing my door coverings to get to the speaker. It took some finagaling (sp?) but I was able to remove the covering with a little bit of effort. And, when I unscrewed the speaker, one of the wires was off! First I feared it came off as I was pulling the speaker out! But, I hooked it up, set it back in with 1 screw then turned it on and I heard sound again!!!

So, all is well. I was even daring enough to remove the other door's cover and make sure the other speaker was secured. It was kinda loose, too, so I am glad I did.

Thanks to all for the help!