Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#13586 - 11/08/2000 06:43 Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Heya,

I finished installing my Empeg last night, and have put installation pictures up for anyone that's interested. They're at http://mse.ufl.edu/~mark/empeg/.
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#13587 - 11/08/2000 08:52 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Great pics, Di, thanks!

I noticed that you connected it to the Sony via the back side. Neat solution. On my honda, I didn't have a second radio down there to connect it to, so I drilled holes in the sides of the docking cage and put low-clearance screws through it to secure it to the OEM frame.

Question: That '99 dash looks identical to my '00 dash, but I could swear that in my dash there's not enough room for two stereos. I have the Empeg on top and a 3/4-size storage pocket below it, and I don't see how I could fit two units in there. Am I nuts?

Oh, and what's that funny thing on the fan knob?

#13588 - 11/08/2000 08:55 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and what's that funny thing on the fan knob?

Never mind, I got to the last two pics and could see it now.

#13589 - 11/08/2000 09:06 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

I noticed that you connected it to the Sony via the back side. Neat solution. On my honda, I didn't have a second radio down there to connect it to, so I drilled holes in the sides of the docking cage and put low-clearance screws through it to secure it to the OEM frame.

I tried that w/ my original empeg installation, but couldn't find a drill tip good enough to go through the cage and not make it all bent up(that cage was HARD) - so I compromised w/ the bolt on the back.. (I DID manage to drill a hole on the back of the mk1 cage; took me forever though...) - it worked well enough that I just carried it over to the mk2...

In reply to:

Question: That '99 dash looks identical to my '00 dash, but I could swear that in my dash there's not enough room for two stereos. I have the Empeg on top and a 3/4-size storage pocket below it, and I don't see how I could fit two units in there. Am I nuts?

I originally had 1 head unit and the storage pocket; took out the storage pocket, used the two side rails that it was attached to, and it fit 2 head units... it's possible that the new ones are 1.5din, but measure it again.. I had just enough room on my honda..
-mark

#13590 - 11/08/2000 11:23 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
We used a metal bracket to attach the Sony cd player to the Empeg on the back.

Doesn't this present difficulties when you wish to remove the empeg from the dash? Looks like you'd have to pull both units, then take a screwdriver and remove one of the screws holding them together.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#13591 - 11/08/2000 11:28 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: tanstaafl.]
dionysus
veteran

na; the bolt holds the empeg's CAGE - it's not actually hooked up to the empeg itself..
-mark

#13592 - 11/08/2000 11:31 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

the bolt holds the empeg's CAGE...

Doh!

tanstaafl.

#13593 - 12/08/2000 23:46 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
grymm
stranger

Install looks sweet! What trim level Accord do you have dio? If you have an LX, I'd love to get the small center pocket that came below your factory cassette player (as shown in the pictures of tony's install)from you.

Ben

#13594 - 13/08/2000 01:00 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: grymm]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

Install looks sweet! What trim level Accord do you have dio? If you have an LX, I'd love to get the small center pocket that came below your factory cassette player (as shown in the pictures of tony's install)from you.

Hey; it's actually an EX - came w/ a double-din cassette player.. however, when I was at my local audio-shop trying to find a kit to fit the empeg in (they didn't have the right kind, btw) they had a kit for like $20 that held a stereo and had the pocket under it - so they are out there... (unfortunately, it wants screw holes on the sides - which empeg doesn't have...)
-mark

#13595 - 13/08/2000 01:20 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
grymm
stranger

dio,

mine's an EX as well (double din CD) - I saw tony's neat little pocket with a lid and dug it. I'm gonna try and find one somewhere. I've only been empegless for 2 days now, and it's about to drive me mad. I gotta get that thing in my new ride!

Ben

#13596 - 13/08/2000 03:06 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: dionysus]
Amarth
journeyman

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I would like to thank you for the dash-pictures even though I don't myself have anything to do with Hondas. They gave a good feeling about what the Empeg mk.2 will be looking like in my car. Too bad the only pic taken in darkness is somewhat blurry but overall thanks for putting those available. To my knowledge there has been only few empeg mk2 pictures publicized in the web before - that actually show a car installation.

(I'm going to publish a dash-pic night/day from my car when I get the mk2 myself...)

Antti 'Amarth' Luostarinen
#14229 please be next week, please
telnet bat.org

#13597 - 13/08/2000 10:08 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: Amarth]
dionysus
veteran

...When I get a chance, I'll see if I can get some decent lighting on empeg and take some different pictures to put up.
-mark

#13598 - 13/08/2000 11:06 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: grymm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Speaking of EX vs. LX, I just had to say that my model was actually an "SE" for "Special Edition". It's sort of in-between the EX and the next-lower model (don't remember whether the LX is the middle one or the DX is the middle one?).

It's meant to be a middle ground for folks who want ABS and a little bit of fancy stuff, but who don't want/need the over-the-top EX. Mine doesn't have a sunroof, but it does have ABS. It isn't covered in faux-wood trim like the EX, but it's still got a few wood bits. It's got the alloy wheels and the keyless security system, too.

But most importantly, one of the reasons I chose that model was because the stereo was just the cheap single-din tape player. I could see that it would be easy to fit the Empeg into that spot without an adapter kit. That, and it was that really neat shade of dark metallic green.

My only regret about choosing the SE model is that the two upper-dash speaker locations aren't usable without some cutting and manual wiring. You have to get the EX for that. So I'm stuck with a front soundstage centered somewhere around my kneecaps.

I'm considering a center-channel speaker in the location of the sunglasses holder (front ceiling near the rear-view mirror). I wonder if that would work. Since I can't keep my sunglasses in there (subwoofer makes 'em rattle), it's dead space that's not being used. Doug, any opinions on that?

#13599 - 14/08/2000 17:07 Re: Installation pictures in a Honda Accord '99 [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I'm considering a center-channel speaker in the location of the sunglasses holder (front ceiling near the rear-view mirror).

Sounds incredibly good to me, if you've got the room. How big a speaker could you put in there? Give serious thought to a coaxial speaker, something around 5" with built in tweeter.

I don't know what your "sunglasses holder" looks like or how big it is or how easy it will be to get wiring there (inside the headliner?).

tanstaafl.