Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14671 - 21/08/2000 11:15 Speaker Options
Kureg

I've been looking at speakers for my car. I've noticed something.

The speakers are usually 3-way 6"x9"s for the rear, and 2-way 3 1/2"s for the dash (or so it seems). The rears are woofs, mids and highs... the fronts are only mids and highs.

Would anyone ever put a 3-way speaker in the dash?

Secondly, by only putting mids and highs in the dash, wouldn't it be a bad idea not to use a crossover?

I've just got factory [censored] in my car right now, and I'm certain there isn't a crossover in there already.

This [censored] is interesting. No, I've never installed a stereo before. Yes I'm gonna install the damn thing myself, even if it's over sweat, blood, tears, time, time, time, and a damaged car damn it. I'm doing it! Bad idea? Probably. Now that's out of the way!

Actually, my brother has offered to help and he's done it three times now, so I should be semi-okay.

Kureg

#14672 - 21/08/2000 11:19 Re: Speaker Options [Re: Kureg]
Kureg

Damn censor machine!

Kureg

#14673 - 21/08/2000 11:24 Re: Speaker Options [Re: Kureg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Would anyone ever put a 3-way speaker in the dash?

If they would fit, yeah .Speakers in the size you're quoting (3.5") don't often come in the 3-way format. But if you can get one that way, sure. The more you dedicate different frequencies to different cones, the more detailed the sound reproduction becomes.

Secondly, by only putting mids and highs in the dash, wouldn't it be a bad idea not to use a crossover?

Correct. Any time you have a speaker which can't reproduce certain frequencies, it's always a good idea to use a crossover to block those frequencies.

I personally use F-mods (available from Crutchfield) to block the bass on the amp channels which go to my mid/treble speakers, and my subwoofer amp has a built-in crossover. So I am doing crossovers for all my speakers without actually owning a dedicated crossover.

Another option is to use the Empeg's ability to EQ four-ways to block bass frequencies to just your front dash speakers. If you do this, make sure to lower the Q value on those bands so you don't get notches where the bass peeks through.

#14674 - 21/08/2000 11:27 Re: Speaker Options [Re: Kureg]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Can we get that switched off? This place attracts neither kids nor particularly offensive adults so I'd have thought we could do without big brother.

Rob

#14675 - 23/08/2000 22:51 Re: Speaker Options [Re: rob]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
But what word did he say? I can't figure out a word that could be censorable and yet used as a brand name or part name by a car manufacturer.

But them maybe I don't have a dirty-enough mind...

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.

#14676 - 24/08/2000 00:03 Re: Speaker Options [Re: PaulWay]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
But what word did he say? I can't figure out a word that could be censorable and yet used as a brand name or part name by a car manufacturer.

I think he said [censored].

Borislav

#14677 - 24/08/2000 09:57 Re: Speaker Options [Re: borislav]
Kureg

In reply to:

I think he said [censored].

I'm laughing so hard I hurt!

Kureg