Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#44960 - 03/11/2001 22:53 Kenwood steering wheel remote
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
This is for anyone (like me) who was wondering how the Kenwood KCA-RC700 steering wheel remote mounted. Now that I see it, I want it. Crutchfield has it for $29.95. This image is off the German Kenwood site.

#44961 - 04/11/2001 08:17 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This is the one I'm using. It's simple, and convenient.

Don't forget to make sure that you have Kenwood remote support enabled in emplode, though.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#44962 - 08/11/2001 08:53 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Kenwood steering wheel remote rules. I installed it on the front of my steering wheel.

Pics of install here

#44963 - 08/11/2001 09:55 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
synergy
enthusiast

I installed it on the front of my steering wheel.

I did my DAMNEST to try to get that to work on my car..... I could not for the life of me find a position that worked well (My horn buttons are where you positioned yours)

Returned it.

Saw the picture posted above...

Promptly crushed various hard objects into my skull. Purchased AGAIN. Installed in the back of the wheel.

Wonderful. You very quickly develop muscle memory to change the tracks with your fingertips.

Now then.... That adhesive they include has to be the crappiest I have ever seen. Any good recommendations for a replacement?

#44964 - 08/11/2001 10:07 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Now then.... That adhesive they include has to be the crappiest I have ever seen. Any good recommendations for a replacement?

I just got it yesterday, so I'm not the one to ask. It seems to stick OK for me. We'll see what happens in the summer when the inside of my car turns into a sauna.

#44965 - 09/11/2001 02:44 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hey Rob R.

Nice photos. I do have a question though: Do you have an airbag? If so, can it still inflate freely with the remote attached to the place you attached it to?

cu,
sven

#44966 - 09/11/2001 08:14 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: smu]
robricc
carpal tunnel

This is a good point, but I think the force of the airbag would be much greater than the tape could handle.

#44967 - 09/11/2001 09:20 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
In reply to:

....force of the airbag would be much greater than the tape

yes, but will the remote become a projectile aimed at your head? I couldnt see from the pic, is there a cord attached to the remote?

#44968 - 09/11/2001 11:38 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: morrisdl]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
There is a cord, going to the transmitting head. See attached image (also from the german Kenwood site) Not that I think it'd make much difference when/if the airbag deploys...

/Michael

Attachments
44530-kcarc700.gif (188 downloads)

#44969 - 09/11/2001 11:50 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: morrisdl]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I'm not worried.

#44970 - 12/11/2001 01:44 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia

I agree. When double-sided adhesive tape didn't work, a moron who installed my old Kenwood head unit used some kind of cyanoacrilate. Of course, it is not meant for application like this and cracked in few days. I ended up using several drops of clear silicone putty. Actually, I use it elsewhere in the car (e.g. to hold a box of tisssues), because, while it sticks well enough even on textured or curved surfaces, it is easy to remove without leaving traces.The only problem is that one has to hold the object being glued for several minutes while the putty polymerizes.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#44971 - 12/11/2001 01:51 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Nader's scare stories aside, I would not keep a sharp-edged hard object between my face and explosive charge. Kenwood booklet that comes with remote is very specific about that (as is Renault's), and they provide a transparent sticker with diagram of the remote to be glued on the front side of the wheel. Besides, I found it easier to operate the remote (actually, remotes, I have an older model which consists of two remotes, one with four and other five buttons, one for each side of the wheel) with my index and middle finger than thumb.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#44972 - 12/11/2001 09:07 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: bonzi]
synergy
enthusiast

Nader's scare stories aside, I would not keep a sharp-edged hard object between my face and explosive charge. Kenwood booklet that comes with remote is very specific about that (as is Renault's), and they provide a transparent sticker with diagram of the remote to be glued on the front side of the wheel.

When I first read that, I tended to agree, however, I'd also say from the pictures posted it's probably not a huge risk. His remote appears to be on the edge of the wheel, which would probably cause the remote to be propelled away from the driver.... probably into the passenger area, but that's another story....Just make sure the Mother in law is there...

Besides, I found it easier to operate the remote (actually, remotes, I have an older model which consists of two remotes, one with four and other five buttons, one for each side of the wheel) with my index and middle finger than thumb.

I've found it MUCH better on the back. It's just about second nature now for me, in about 1 weeks use, a few minutes each day. Plus, it's not noticable from 90% of the viewing angle.

I'll try the Silicone putty for the adhesive. I'm actually using the original tape now in a friction lock situation to hold the emitter... it works, but could be sturdier.

#44973 - 12/11/2001 10:46 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: robricc]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I've got the same remote mounted in the same place on my Isuzu VehiCross. I think that when the airbag inflates, it flips the main "face" of the steering wheel up, so the remote shouldn't shoot out at you, but rather towards the dash.
The only thing I'm worried about is the remote hitting my right thumb if it does go off, as I usually drive at "ten and two o'clock".

#44974 - 16/11/2001 20:59 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: Dearing]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Good place to have your hands. And I'd tend to agree with your point about the way the steering wheel comes apart during airbag deployment. However, this isn't exactly the same for all wheels and someone might very well put the remote somewhere where it will cause a problem. The chord can prevent it from fliping away as someone might expect.

Does this remote have any chance of being reprogrammed? Has anyone seen anything comparable that has that ability? Before anyone jumps in and says that you can re-assign codes on the empeg, let me just say it's not that I'm worried about. I won't be setting the empeg up as a preamp, so I won't be using its volume controls. Empeg output goes to a Clarion headunit before going to my amplifiers. So to adjust the volume I need the HU to receive the commands - and I doubt very much the Clarion just happens to use the Kenwood codes. :) But I may as well go check the Crutchfield site and search...

BTW, where did you guys install the sending unit?

#44975 - 16/11/2001 23:47 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
synergy
enthusiast

Does this remote have any chance of being reprogrammed? Has anyone seen anything comparable that has that ability? Before anyone jumps in and says that you can re-assign codes on the empeg, let me just say it's not that I'm worried about. I won't be setting the empeg up as a preamp, so I won't be using its volume controls. Empeg output goes to a Clarion headunit before going to my amplifiers. So to adjust the volume I need the HU to receive the commands - and I doubt very much the Clarion just happens to use the Kenwood codes. :) But I may as well go check the Crutchfield site and search...

The only way to reprogram this unit is with a soldering iron. It's small, cheap and designed to control Kenwood only. I don't know of any steering wheel remotes that are re-programmable. They could make a mint doing one though. Design like the Blaupunt Thummers, but with a learning or programming capability... I'd buy several.

BTW, where did you guys install the sending unit?

Well, I'm mounting under the wheel, for control with my fingertips when grasping the wheel. My car has a pod on the right side of the wheelhub containing the cruise controls. I've got the sender situated at the base of this pod, with it's support arm almost entirely inside the pod. I'm using the adhesive pretty much as a friction pad with the wire tape holding the sender at the base of the wire. I'm really enjoying this. It's extremely easy to use, and it's not visible looking down on the wheel. The passenger has a view of it, but even so, they really have to be looking for it. I can post pictures if anyone cares to see.

#44976 - 17/11/2001 18:22 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Well, I'm mounting under the wheel, for control with my fingertips when grasping the wheel. My car has a pod on the right side of the wheelhub containing the cruise controls. ... and it's not visible looking down on the wheel. The passenger has a view of it, but even so, they really have to be looking for it. I can post pictures if anyone cares to see.

I'd love to see pictures. My Integra has a similar pod for the cruise under the right side of the wheel. I've decided I want one of these remote. I can forgo volume control - I only adjust the volume every now and then, the other functions are a lot more important. I was thinking about trying to buy a replacement cover for the cruise control pod and then hack it to fit as much of the Kenwood remote as I can inside it.

Of course, first I have to get my hands on one of these things. So I'll need to find another store that carries them because Crutchfield won't ship to Canada afaik. Failing that, I'll have to see if anyone would be willing to get one for me and ship it up here.

Off to start searching. :)

Bruno

#44977 - 17/11/2001 20:02 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
synergy
enthusiast

My Integra has a similar pod for the cruise under the right side of the wheel.

Actually, I'd say it's probably the same pod...

http://photo.d0gz.net/acura/

I've thought about taking the pod off, for a sony stalk, but honestly, after playing with the kenwood, I don't see the need.

Need to clean up the sender wire a bit, though.

#44978 - 17/11/2001 20:10 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Honda/Acuras have a separate pod on the left of the steering wheel (essentially a mirror of the cruise control pod) for the radio controls.

I looked at getting that for my Honda steering wheel, but if your car didn't come with it, you need more than the pod I think. It looks to me like the steering wheel cover needs to be a different unit with an attachment point for the second pod.

My real fear is messing around in the steering column when it's got the airbag there. Not sure I want to be experimenting in that area...

#44979 - 17/11/2001 20:15 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Actually, I'd say it's probably the same pod...

Considering we both have 3rd gen Integras, yeah, I'd say they're identical. :)

The remote is considerably smaller than I thought. Excellent. On the drive home today I was thinking about where to put it and I thought about the top spoke where you have yours, but I thought it would be too big. Then I had the idea of mounting it to the cruise control cover. Then I had the idea of mounting it inside the cover. I'll see about pulling the cover off tomorrow to check it out.

Hmm, while I have the door panels off, maybe I should build one into the passenger's door so they don't try reaching over for my wheel? :) Hehe. Though I suppose they could use the traditional slim Rio remote.

Bruno

#44980 - 17/11/2001 20:19 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Then I had the idea of mounting it inside the cover. I'll see about pulling the cover off tomorrow to check it out.

Yeah, that was my idea. I was thinking of putting some really small buttons in the back side of the cruise control cover and wiring them up to resistors so they could go into the tuner module like a Sony stalk.

#44981 - 17/11/2001 20:35 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
synergy
enthusiast

Considering we both have 3rd gen Integras, yeah, I'd say they're identical. :)

Well, there might have been differences between the Canadian models.... and I didn't remember if the other models of the Teg had the same layout... The loaner I drove didn't have cruise.

Hmm, while I have the door panels off, maybe I should build one into the passenger's door so they don't try reaching over for my wheel? :) Hehe. Though I suppose they could use the traditional slim Rio remote.

Any passenger reaching PAST the headunit to get a limited function remote on the wheel should promptly be ejected from the car... without bothering to open the car.

The nice thing about this remote is that it is small, and in reality, it's barely noticeable from a driving standpoint. You don't see it, it doesn't get in the way of using the wheel, and it's just usable. The pictures I took highlight the remote. It tends to blend.

#44982 - 17/11/2001 22:22 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I should really get to bed. The only reason I didn't go out was because I had to get up early to go into work. And now I'm still up. :)

Well, there might have been differences between the Canadian models.... and I didn't remember if the other models of the Teg had the same layout... The loaner I drove didn't have cruise.

US and Canadian Integras were pretty much the same in the 3rd Gen. I also have a GSR which has everything except leather seats (that's one diff - no from-the-factory leather option was available in Canada for the GSR - at least until 97)

And Tony.. You'll have to stop coming up with my ideas before I have a chance to have them. :)

Nighty night.

Bruno

#44983 - 17/11/2001 23:51 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: hybrid8]
synergy
enthusiast

I should really get to bed. The only reason I didn't go out was because I had to get up early to go into work. And now I'm still up. :)

There is always the leonids... We've seen a couple of really nice ones... bright suckers. I don't know if I'm going to last until the peak... 4am central.. ugh.

I also have a GSR which has everything except leather seats

sounds like the same car... I just hope it's not white too... I didn't want leather down here in the south... plus I have a 90lbs german shepard that rides with me... fabric is a pain to clean her hair out of, but it's better than the effect she would have on the leather. I'm pretty happy with the car... It's a bit loud, but I'm glad I installed the V1 in it. It just doesn't want to run under 80mph.

#44984 - 18/11/2001 04:25 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I just got up and was watching the Leonids, too. It's about 3:30 pacific here. Some of them are casting shadows and leaving trails that linger long enough to be distorted by high-atmosphere winds. Amazing.

#44985 - 18/11/2001 20:34 Re: Kenwood steering wheel remote [Re: synergy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

sounds like the same car... I just hope it's not white too...

You're safe, it's red.

I need to replace my exhaust - and I doubt even the aftermarket Comptech I want to put in will make my car any louder than it is now. I replaced the A and B pipe last year knowing that I'd go to complete stainless this spring or so. Whatever crappy temp pipe is there now resonates like mad between 3200 and 3800. To top it off, the muffler hits the corner of the trailer hitch I have installed making an awful sound at various other resonances (I replaced a previous trailer hitch after getting rear-ended, only to be left with this nice new feature.) I took a good look a few weeks ago and at least I know what I have to do to fix it.

And if you want it a little quieter in the car, you should tear the interior completely down and start insulating and deadening like I did. I still have to put back the door panels, both sides running the length of the car and everything behind the front seats. :)

Bruno