Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#175820 - 19/08/2003 11:24 In-Line Amplifier
mvigneau

Loc: Manchester, NH
Hey,
I am looking for an in-line amplifier. Here is my problem. I have one set of 4V subwoofer preamp outs. I have 2 12" JL Subs in the trunk already hooked up to a 800 Watt Amplifier. I have installed Bass Shakers on a separate 250W Ampliifer. I split the RCA cable coming from the head unit using 2 Y-Cables going to the 2 different amps.

I noticed that the subwoofer now does not put out as much power as before because of the voltage drop on the RCA cable with the split off. I need something that reamplify the signal so that I can run both the subs and bass shakers and have them both receive full 4V. I have searched online, but can't find anything except for the satellite in-line amplifier which is a coaxial connector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#175821 - 19/08/2003 11:38 Re: In-Line Amplifier [Re: mvigneau]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ummh.. Are you really sure you connected everything OK? The power amps really have to have very low input impedances for the voltage to drop significantly. And can't you just turn up the gain a bit?

Sorry if I misunderstood the situationn....

#175822 - 19/08/2003 16:54 Re: In-Line Amplifier [Re: mvigneau]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am looking for an in-line amplifier

Sort of off-topic, but this reminded me of something my lunatic stereo shop owner did... he had a big SPL truck, a Chevrolet Dualie with sixteen 15" subwoofers, powered by a 40 kilowatt (yes, 40,000 watts!) amplifier. Sound quality wasn't much -- for laughs we played some Mozart through it and couldn't recognize what was playing -- but it would crank out nearly 170 decibels. At the time there were only three or four cars in the world that were louder.

He used a 100-watt PPI amplifier as an in-line pre-amp to feed the 40 KW amp.

Like I said, he is a lunatic...

tanstaafl.

#175823 - 19/08/2003 18:18 Re: In-Line Amplifier [Re: mvigneau]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Phoenix Gold used to have something called a Line Driver, I think it was PLD-1 for a model number. I had one in my last car. I'm sure they don't make them anymore, but you might find one on ebay? It had a single input and 2 or 3 outputs that would go as high as 8V, and I don't remember it adding any noticeable distortion or anything.

*****edit*****

Wow, crappy memory. One input, one output. It still may be what you need for that channel. There's at least one on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3041266847&category=14933 . I think they were about $100 when new.

Edited by tracerbullet (19/08/2003 18:20)

#175824 - 19/08/2003 19:57 Re: In-Line Amplifier [Re: tracerbullet]
mvigneau

Loc: Manchester, NH
Thanks for all of the information.

I used to have just Subwoofers hooked up solely before I hooked up the Bass Shakers. I used to have the Woofer volume at 6 out of 8 and it was more than powerful enough to feel and act like 2 12" subwoofers should. After installing the Bass Shakers, I have to run the Woofer Volume at 8 out of 8 and I have to crank up the volume of the receiver to be able to feel the subwoofers.

I found a Line Driver and hopefully that will fix the issue. I am waiting for the auction to end and then they will ship it to me.