Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#177763 - 03/09/2003 23:49 Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer!
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'm building an "in spare tire" fiberglass sub box for my WRX Wagon. Something similar to this but actually more like this. I had my little heart set on a Diamond Audio M6 10D4 (I was going to go all DA speakers), but after Rob V. (CruzThs) reminded me that he had that exact sub in his Land Rover, and had the installer replace it with something else because it sounded like crap, i'm back at stage one trying to decide on a sub. That's where you all come in!

It's going to be a 10", that i know. The main limiting factor here is mounting depth. I've got 6" to work with. MAYBE 6.5", but i'm going to play it safe. There will be about 1-1.5 cu.ft. to play with. I'm going to be pushing it with either a 500/1 or 1000/1 JL Audio amp, depending on which will fit where i want it to go, but that's another post all together...

Here's the short list:

Adire Brahma 10"
---------------------
Dual 2 Ohm voice coils
1600W RMS 4800W peak, 700W to full excusrion in a .5 cu. ft.
Depth: 6.5"
Weight: 37 lbs.
enclosure: 0.25 to 0.85 cubic foot
$$340
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm
NOTES: This is what i want, but it ain't gonna happen, too heavy, too deep, too much excursion (2 inches!!)

JL Audio 10W6AE 10"
------------------------
Dual 6ohm voice coil
300W continuous power handling
Depth: 4.875"
Driver displacement: .06 sq. ft., 1.7 litres
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w6.html
$$160
NOTES: Classic good sub, but not as much wattage as i'd like. Nice and shallow though.

JL Audio 10W3v2 10"
-------------------------
Dual 2, 4, or 6 ohm
300W continuous power handling
Depth: 5.75"
Driver displacement: .05 sq ft, 1.42 litres
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w3v2.html
$$180
NOTES: Same as above

Diamond Audio M6 10D2 or 10D4
----------------------------------------------
Dual 2 or 4 Ohm voice coils
800W RMS
Dept 5.43"
Driver displacement: .093 sq ft, 2.63L
enclosure: .3-.75 sq ft
$$300??
http://www.diamondaudio.com/MobileAudio/index.cfm?page=Subwoofers#
NOTES: supposedly sounds like ass, but perfect otherwise

Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d
-------------------------------
Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil
350 watts RMS
depth 5-3/4"
sealed box volume: 0.6 cu. ft
$$190
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/INFPERFECT101D
NOTES: Not as much power handling as i'd like, nice lookin though.

Polk Audio/MOMO MM104
-----------------------------
Single 4ohm voice coil
500 watts RMS
depth 5-1/4"
weight 14 lbs
sealed box volume 0.66 cu. ft
$$220 but can get for half that through hookup
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mm104
NOTES:Just about perfect. Got some great reviews, matching MOMO (who cares), can get for cheap, don't know much about Polk brand

Audiobahn ALUM10Q
-----------------------------------
dual 6 ohm voice coils
800W RMS
Mounting Depth: 5”
Weight: 18 lbs
$$230
http://www.audiobahninc.com/products/woofers/soundQ.html
NOTES: Nice for the 1000/1 amp, Don't know much about Audiobahn, nice and short.

MB Quart PWE 252 or 254 10" Premium Series
---------------------------------------------
Dual 2 or 4 Ohm coils
400W RMS
Mount Depth: 5.77"
$$??
http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/products/prod_detail.asp?isArchive=&cat=auto&series=premium%20series&strt=1&model=PWE+252%2F254
NOTES: Solid brand name, looks amazing, hard to find, will cost $$ through retail as they can't be had online

Crystal CMP 10
-----------------
single 4 ohm
500W RMS
Mounting depth : 4 3/4"
Weight: 32 lbs.
$$270
http://www.crystalmobilesound.com/subdetails.asp?SubID=2
NOTES: Just about perfect, great reviews, but i don't know anything about the company and their rep

As it stands i'm leaning toward the Polk/MOMO (because i can get it for cheap). But, i'm really interested in the Crystal CMP, MB Quart and the AudioBahn, but i just don't know anything about their rep. So if anyone can comment on ANY of these subs or the companies, i'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm looking for SQL at lower volumes more than SPL, but i want it to hit hard... i like to feel the music every once and a while.

I want to get this system together asap... i need my empeg. This whole 6 CD's or the radio thing is killing me!

#177764 - 03/09/2003 23:51 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
(CruzThs) reminded me that he had that exact sub in his Land Rover
IIRC, that car had one of the best sounding installs I'd ever heard, so whatever he says, listen to him.

#177765 - 03/09/2003 23:58 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Well, i already got the fronts (his Diamond Audio S600s) from that install that you heard since he replaced them with some Focals (IIRC). I think we heard it at the meet with the Diamond Audio sub, so i'm sure it would still sound great, but he threw me for a loop saying how bad it sounded. Especially since i've seen and heard his Adire Brahma. That sub is F'n AMAZING. You should check out some of the videos on their website. I wish like hell i could fit that sub where i want it.

#177766 - 04/09/2003 00:32 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I nearly got the Adire Shiva before someone was nice enough to be giving away a couple ID 10"s. (No Really. Giving them away, not stolen. in the box...)

I'd really try for the Brahma if I were you. They've got the best reviews out there for the money...

Matthew

#177767 - 04/09/2003 01:09 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: matthew_k]
loren
carpal tunnel

Oh yeah... the ID 10's... i forgot about those. And i didn't even really look at the Shivas.... going to check them out now...

Damn you Matthew!!! Now you're making me think about removing the spare tire just so i can have room to fit the Brahma.... ARGH!

#177768 - 04/09/2003 02:21 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't think they make the Shivas in 10"s, but I could be wrong. A 12" shiva is probably smaller overall than a 10" brahma in all but diameter.

In general, I'd stick away from the audiobahn. When I was looking they seemed to be SPL focused.

(and now, you've made me look at the specials page at thezeb and reminded me how much I need a set of components. $150 for a set of CDT components seems like a good deal. Must resist the temptations of credit card debt.)

Matthew

#177769 - 04/09/2003 07:03 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Inspiration for my Forester. Thanks for those links Loren! That is way cool (just like Jesus was).

-Zeke

#177770 - 04/09/2003 09:16 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: matthew_k]
loren
carpal tunnel

Matthew, thanks for the link to thezeb.com. Does anyone else have any good web retailer links other than the obvious ones that come up in ever search?

And you're right, the Shiva's are 12 only

#177771 - 04/09/2003 10:00 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Looking at your list I'd say that you have to seriously consider the Polk. At ~$110 you'd be saving over $200 on the Adire. And if it doesn't work out then you could probably recoup most of your outlay anyway by selling it on.

#177772 - 04/09/2003 10:45 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: matthew_k]
DeadFire
addict

In general, I'd stick away from the audiobahn. When I was looking they seemed to be SPL focused.

With some of their subwoofer models, this is true. But they make at least 10 different types. I highly doubt that every one of that many different kinds of subs are designed only for SPL. In fact, the model he listed seems to be from a series focused on clarity. I would not discount Audiobahn so quickly. And, it's quite easy to find their stuff for less than retail.

#177773 - 04/09/2003 11:36 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Another brand that I would consider is Elemental Designs - they're really getting recommended over at SoundDomain....

Here's the link to the 10" A series sub: http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/10a.htm

Not available at retailers, only straight from the manufacturer.

/Michael

#177774 - 04/09/2003 12:00 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: mtempsch]
loren
carpal tunnel

Wow, that's a beautiful sub. It's mount depth is 6.1" though... A bit to deep. I've gotta get out the tape measure again and make sure, but from my frist measurements it looks like 6" is the most i'll get out of it with the tire in.

#177775 - 04/09/2003 13:54 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
how about a/d/s ?

around $250 I think

or $183 here

I've got a/d/s components up front and I love them.

Edited by ithoughti (04/09/2003 13:59)

#177776 - 05/09/2003 09:37 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
Dont forget to check out Resonant Engineering, I would look into the HC or SE series for your application, they sound great, still hit hard, and dont cost that much.The main difference between the two is power handling. I own a XXX myself and love it, but its way too massive for a spare tire well.

www.respl.com

Edited by dodgecowboy (05/09/2003 09:44)

#177777 - 05/09/2003 11:32 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: dodgecowboy]
loren
carpal tunnel

how about a/d/s ?
Hmmm... that's a possibility. Nice and shallow and good power handling.

Dont forget to check out Resonant Engineering
Again, beautiful subs, but too deep.

#177778 - 07/09/2003 22:46 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Loren,

Not really a valid response to your quest, but I figured I should post a few pics of my almost recently completed new WRX wagon sub/amp setup. My goal was to fit it in a full-sized spare and free up all of the back. The tray that used to sit in there with the useless mini-spare was pretty uselss.

Here's pic number one with the home-made covers removed. The sub is a small Solobaric SL7 *8-inch) and the amps are the smallest-of-the-line MTX 202 and 251. So far, sounds good.

Yes, you bet i hacked the styrofoam with my Leatherman to get the amps to fit, but it was worth it. Some minor wire dressing yet to go....

Attachments
176973-Trunk2.JPG (145 downloads)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#177779 - 07/09/2003 22:51 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

And pic number two with covers in place...

Attachments
176975-Trunk.JPG (127 downloads)

#177780 - 07/09/2003 23:28 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
I've got Boston Acoustics in my car: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/newproduct/ProSubs.pdf . I love them. They fit nicely in my 3G Eclipse spare tire well... Their indicated depth says they fit yours as well, and they have a small sealed box requirement.

Some random throughts:
1) How much power do you expect to put through them, and for how long at a time? You're worried about a 300W rating?
2) Weight is your enemy for performance. I ditched my spare tire so I could get a pair of 10's into my spare tire well, and even with a ridiculously strong fiberglass box, 2 speakers, and 2 amps, I still came out ahead in weight savings by removing that tire and rim.
3) Ditch the spare, get a can of fix-a-flat, mold a space for it in your setup, and get the sub that you really want - so you're not kicking yourself later, every time you listen to it or show someone else.
4) I've heard Diamond components, and read a ton of reviews about them. If one of their subs sounded bad I'd think it's much more likely to have had a manufacturing defect, been damaged, or been improperly installed (box size, box type, loosely mounted enclosure) rather than simply be a bad speaker design. If you really liked them otherwise, try to find another example to listen to before disregarding them alltogether.

#177781 - 08/09/2003 10:40 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: tracerbullet]
loren
carpal tunnel

Jim: Sweet!! That's exactly where i want to put my amps... they'll be a much tighter fit and i'm thinking i might have to create an air channel complete with fans in there, but we'll see how hot they get after being installed before i tackle that. Thanks for the pics!!

Greg:
1: I'm going to be pushing it with a 500W amp. (unless i can somehow figure out how to cram the 1000W JL in there =]). I want the sub to at least be able to handle 500W, I don't wanna even chance blowing a sub if i crank it for some length of time. Better safe than buying a new sub.

2+3. I'm not ditching the spare tire. It's part of the crumple zone for the rear of the wagon most importantly, and secondly the second i take that thing out, i'm going to have some catastrophic blowout on a 1000 mile road trip, that's just how my luck goes. I'm not worried about the performance lost of adding 30 lbs to the rear, it's not like i'm doing quarter miles. And that's the point of making it removable... when i do autox or rallyx i'll just take it out. I don't think i'll be kicking myself if i pick the right sub within the parameters i have to work with. There's a lot of great subs that will fit, 500W is still a ton of power, and i'm willing to try different subs in the enclosure to find one i like.

4. I've definitely thought about the fact that it could have been a crappy setup, but i'm trusting that Monney (the place that did Rob's install) is as good as their reputation makes them out to be. The fact that i can't find one anywhere in the area, and the only online shope i could find them at is backordered for months. I'm going with DA fronts and rears... i KNOW those sound good. =]

Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone, i've got some deciding to do this week.

#177782 - 08/09/2003 21:49 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
loren
carpal tunnel

Alrighty. Finally.

I ordered an a/d/s/ r10s thanks to the recommendations of Matt, and a few others on the NASIOC.com message board. a/d/s/ has a great reputation for speakers, so we'll see if it carries over to their subs. I got it for a tad under $200, which was another deciding factor... it was the best compromise on price/quality/power.

Now, if i can just find some Diamond Audio M351 mids for the rear doors... i'll FINALLY be ready to install my empeg! I'm getting excited again.

Thanks to all of your recommendations. I've now got a good list to go down if the a/d/s/'s don't work out. =]

#177783 - 09/09/2003 16:44 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: mtempsch]
loren
carpal tunnel

Here's the link to the 10" A series sub:www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/10a.htm

Doh... i wish i'd have looked closer at the Elemental Designs website. That e1OO.44 sub looks NICE. I'd only looked at the A series you linked, which are their SPL subs. Didn't see the O series that are actually only 5.5" mounting depth. Ah well, if the a/d/s/ doesn't work out, i'll definitely give that one a gander.

#177784 - 09/09/2003 19:35 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: loren]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

That's exactly where i want to put my amps... they'll be a much tighter fit and i'm thinking i might have to create an air channel complete with fans in there

Whether or not you cared about resale of the car (the hack factor, and about which i didn't care), I expect you could pull that whole forward styrofoam block out and fashion a molded replacement tray out of f-glass and plywood that would hold a lot more amp. I wanted "small" in any event and the lowest-end MTX won the prize. They seem to run very, very cool even when I have been cranking it.

I put the MTX in in Boston after I decided that the cheesy old Soundstream amp (that I had pulled off the boat for sucking too many amps) was running so hot it could set the car on fire. Seriously. Talk about bad design. No wonder I got that Soundstream on sale!

Oh, and yes, there is another grill in the carpeted sub cover panel. I may spray the sub housing with some RoadKill, but then I'm done.

#177785 - 09/09/2003 21:29 Re: Help me decide on a 10" subwoofer! [Re: jimhogan]
loren
carpal tunnel

Yeah, i was planning on pulling that whole block of foam out and building some sort of amp rack so i don't have to hack it up. I want everything i'm doing to that car to be reversable. Thanks for the tips!