Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14151 - 16/08/2000 04:54 Chevrolet Tracker install
Squid
stranger

Loc: CA
Everyone seems to be posting what they plan to do so I figured I would post mine. I have yet to get my EMPEG (18GB/green) but I hope by end of next week or so to at least get the invitation.

I have my toy (cause it is so tiny compared to my wife's SUV) SUV (Chevy Tracker 2000, 4Dr, 4WD) that I want to put the EMPEG in. My wife does not care for MP3s, technology, etc. which is fine by me!!

Anyway, right now all I have is factory everything. I am just doing a basic system, no sub or component speakers. I plan to replace the speakers with Pioneer TS-A1665 (50W, 180W) ($66 per pair). I will do this on my own as it is very simple.

The current radio is a double DIN CD Player which I will remove, of course and put the EMPEG in its place. I am hoping that the install shop (not sure who that is yet but have heard 2 recommendations about a local shop called Sound Solutions) will (upon me telling them) secure the docking cradle with the same plates used to secure the factory radio. I think Tfabris had to screw holes into the cradle but it is worth it just to have a secured cradle. I think I could do the EMPEG myself but I am not sure about the amp so I think I will have the installer do the EMPEG.

The amp is a Profile 440SX. A friend has one and it is very small, a nice performer, and inexpensive. It is 50Wx4 RMS, 100Wx4 max. I will have them place this under one of the front seats.

Other than that, I think that is all. I will post pictures of the final thing if anyone is interested.

Comments are welcome.

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#14152 - 16/08/2000 09:23 Re: Chevrolet Tracker install [Re: Squid]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like you're all set, Squid.

I'm glad I did the screws in the sides of my cradle, but don't necessarily insist upon it for your car. Your installer may have a perfectly good solution that doesn't require it. It needs to be sturdy enough to insert and remove the empeg frequently, but that can be accomplished with just the bendy-tabs if it's done right.

#14153 - 16/08/2000 11:09 Re: Chevrolet Tracker install [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

. It needs to be sturdy enough to insert and remove the empeg frequently, but that can be accomplished with just the bendy-tabs if it's done right.

Speaking of - empeg's definately done these cradles right; Empeg mk2 slips in and out MUCH easier then the old cradles ever did; and the sides are constructed in a way that you could bend them outwards/inwards if needed down the road.
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#14154 - 16/08/2000 19:48 Re: Chevrolet Tracker install [Re: Squid]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am just doing a basic system, no sub or component speakers.

I hope you'll reconsider this. The increased enjoyment you will get from your system will be all out of proportion to the trouble and expense of installing a subwoofer. A single 10" sub in a small box tucked way in the back will make a tremendous difference in your sound quality. Figure some creative way to mount the sub (mine is tucked inside the spare wheel) and you won't have to give up too much utility.

'nuff said.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#14155 - 17/08/2000 04:20 Re: Chevrolet Tracker install [Re: tanstaafl.]
Squid
stranger

In reply to:

The increased enjoyment you will get from your system will be all out of proportion to the trouble and expense of installing a subwoofer

I figure I could add this later on if I feel like I am missing something. Right now I just want to get the empeg, amp, and speakers, which will greatly increase my enjoyment!

I am a number, not a free man! And that number is fifteen-thousand five-hundred sixty-two.

#14156 - 30/08/2000 03:34 Re: Chevrolet Tracker install [Re: Squid]
Squid
stranger

Just a follow-up. I have only installed my rear speakers so far. And even they make a discernible difference. It is like I can hear extra sounds coming from the rear of my truck. This weekend I should have my front speakers installed. Now, I am just waiting on EMPEG to send me my invitation. Hey, since my b-day is this Monday (Sep 4) can that bump me up to NEXT IN LINE? :)