Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#18085 - 19/09/2000 01:57 Car Toys sucks...
iank
new poster

I had them do the install of my MK2 in a brand new WS6 Trans Am. Mmmm, V8 goodness. Anyway, they totally botched the install. They committed newbie error #1 and ran the power lead with the RCA line level cables from the EMPEG and front speaker leads from the amp. Hell, they even zip-tied them together. Can you say alternator whine? I knew you could! The rest of the install was of acceptable quality but it took me about an hour and a half and some extra power cable to undo their retarded install job. The guy who did the install was allegedly one of their "best guys" who had three chances to fix the whine and failed all three times. The last time their "head installer" took a stab at it and "solved" the problem by cranking down the gain on the amp to stupidly low levels in addition to putting strange kinks and contortions in the cables running into the amp (which had no effect). In the end of course I just re-routed the cable along the opposite side of the car.

#18086 - 19/09/2000 02:04 Re: Car Toys sucks... [Re: iank]
teemcbee
addict

Ooops.. sounds not good - better do it yourself next time

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#18087 - 28/09/2000 19:26 Re: Car Toys sucks... [Re: iank]

Loc: Dallas Texas USA
Hmm.. in my area (Dallas Texas) I just started hearing about them on the radio. Since I am about to receive my invitation to order I have been looking for a place to do a quality install. I was about to post asking if anyone had any dealings with them when I saw your post.

Car Toys is supposed to be one of the larger car stereo stores in the USA. Maybe they just have great prices but can't install a toaster? I think I may have to pass on them.

#18088 - 29/09/2000 01:52 Re: Car Toys sucks... [Re: iank]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Hmmm... Well, were are you located? I had mine installed at the Bellevue Car-Toys in Washington State. No problems and seems to be working like a champ...

Brian H. Johnson
MK2 36GB Blue
"Born to Lose..."

#18089 - 29/09/2000 13:01 Re: Car Toys sucks... [Re: bootsy]
iank
new poster

I too had mine installed at the Bellevue Car Toys :down the street from Magnolia HiFi, next to Park Place Auto.

#18090 - 29/09/2000 13:19 Re: Car Toys sucks... [Re: iank]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Doh, I was going to post about Car-Toys when I visited them here in the Springs, but I guess I never did. Basically they call all the audio stores in the area of a new store trying to steal installers and sales people, and usually they end up only getting people from Best Buy and such. My favorite store in the area had a few people tempted, but they quickly realized it's better to have a manager who has experience, and other help to assist them then a fancy showroom. And after talking to some of the sales people, they don't know much about any high end equipment. Supposedly the Rockford Smart Media MP3 player can hold as much music as an empeg. Also their prices aren't that great. There is one thing worthwhile about the stores though. They tend to have some nice equipment on display to allow people to see it though, so if you want to see a head unit or subwoofer, head there, then go to your local favorite, or www.crutchfield.com to buy.