Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#34210 - 09/07/2001 12:37 Subaru WRX install
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
SE_Sports_Driver's query about faceplates prompted me to add this post...

I just recently completed an install in my WRX wagon. I pulled out the factory double-DIN unit and replaced it with a Kenwood 6017 and the Empeg. The Empeg feeds the Kenwood aux via a CD changer adapter cable, so that I can use just the Kenwood (which is a removable, rotating "DMASK+" model) for trips to the grocery store. I swapped out the factory speakers for Rockford-Fosgate 6.5" component speakers in the front and RF 4" coaxes in the rear door; I selected these mostly on the basis of economy and that fact that they fit the shallow WRX mount points without major modification (I did cut adapters for the 6.5" speakers out of MDF to fit Subaru's odd 3-point mount). I built a custom subwoofer box out of MDF and polyester/fiberglass matt that sits behind the driver's side rear wheel well. It also serves as a mount for a cheap ($79) Profile 2+1 amp that feeds the forward speakers and the square Kicker Solobaric 8" subwoofer. My main goal with molding the cabinet was to consume as little space as possible; it came out pretty well. Other than a 2nd Empeg sled, some heat-shrink, connectors, and some 8g and 4g wire that I bought from a marine electronics place locally, I bought everything from Crutchfield. They really excel at delivering on car stereo, and they threw in a lot of the requisite harness connectors.

For future flexibility, I connected the Kenwood and Empeg to the Subaru harness adapter with hooded spade connectors. For connections such as power, ground, illumination and such that feed both Kenwood and Empeg, I made little Y connectors. All of that takes a little more space, but the idea is to be able to change to a 4-channel amp and/or add a Sony XM39 later on if desired.

Space in the dash is tight. There is a little space under the console by the ashtray that might be usable for XM39. Thankfully, the console is a cinch to take apart.

As with a previous Forrester install detailed here, it was not possible to install the Empeg without cutting the factory radio bezel since the 2-DIN Subaru unit has a smaller "nose" through the bezel. The fact that the bezel is black plastic painted an odd silver color makes this tricky. I spent about 5 hours with a Dremel and a jeweler's saw. The bezel was a little tricky to remove the first time, but it does pop straight out. It is secured by 4 nylon clips; I removed and saved these clips. It made it a lot easier to remove and replace the bezel for final fit, and the bezel seems to sit pretty snugly without them with the Empeg sled pinning it in place. Also, when cutting the bezel you will inevitably remove some stiffening material, making it easy to break, so even more reason to leave the nylon clips out (and a big reason not to get the $400 carbon-fiber trim bits!) The plain silver bezel is an $85 dollar part, so take care!

I placed the Empeg sled below the Kenwood. I had to drill new holes in the 2 Subaru mounting plates to get the head units aligned correctly. I also drilled bevelled holes in the Empeg sled and pinned the sled to the brackets with flat-head #6 bolts secured with nylock nuts. Because the bezel is slightly curved and the edge of the Empeg sled must be exposed, it tends to stick out a bit. If I decide to redo this, here's what I'm thinking:

- Cut the retaining angles off of the top of the Subaru DIN brackets. This would allow me to float the Kenwood/Empeg up just a bit, so that I could line them up better; this might require cutting a bit of the dashboard brace above the radio pocket.

- I'd put the Empeg on top, as its wider face could be a better fit with the contour of the bezel up there.

- I would weld the nylock nuts to the DIN adapter plates. This would allow me to insert the Empeg sled *after* replacing the bezel and thread those #6 retaining bolts from inside the sled. This would make the requisite new cutout in the bezel smaller and neater looking.

So how's it sound?? Purty darn good. My friend picked Radiohead _Creep_, I turned it way, way up, and she was duly impressed. My test song was Youssou N'Dour _She Doesn't Have to Fall_ and I was happy. I am going to swap out 300hz capacitors for 150hz on the front door speakers to bring some midbass back up there and I'm waiting for delivery of an Autosound test CD to try a little tuning with my Radio Shack sound meter.

A green faceplate (someday!) and I'll be done.

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#34211 - 10/07/2001 10:39 Re: Subaru WRX install [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
FYI: I just uploaded a WRX and a Subaru AWD logo to the logosite.! Keep an eye out for them in the next few days :)

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#34212 - 10/07/2001 13:00 Re: Subaru WRX install [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The logos are approved and up. I was actually checking my mail when SE_Sport_Driver was uploading them, so I approved them as he was still uploading his 5th logo of the batch

#34213 - 10/07/2001 17:18 Re: Subaru WRX install [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
mmmm...pictures?
BTW the XM39 also fits nicely in some space above the gas pedal (in place with zipties). Completely invisible if your Subaru's like mine. Excellent post.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...