I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado truck (new body style), and if you are not familiar with the model, it has the infamous GM/Chrysler dash opening, which means you effectively have a single DIN location to replace the factory stereo.

In this particular model, just below the dash, there is a factory console (I can provide pics if it will help) in front of the cupholders that houses the factory CD player and a storage compartment that holds 4-5 CD jewel cases.

After taking it apart to discover how it was assembled, I consulted a local install shop. By my estimations, this factory console is more than large enough to house a double DIN stack. The only trick in all of it, which I am nowhere nearly skilled enough to do, is to strip the innards of this console, and reconstruct a suitable frame that will house either two single DIN or a double DIN opening.

My plan was to buy another bezel and the console from the dealership (so I can return it to stock at any time) and then have a shop perform the custom work of reconstructing the console to house the Empeg and perhaps another head unit in the future.

The installer claimed he knew what an Empeg was, but he couldn't seem get his head around the concept of why I wanted to do this. He kept saying "there are several head units out there that have multiple inputs" but what he never understood was that I still need a place to physically mount the Empeg. He finally shot me a quote of $500-600 (not including the new factory console and bezel to be modified to perform the work. The local dealership only wants a little over $100 for the replacement bezel and console) His price seems a little high to me, and I guess more than anything, the guy's attitude pissed me off. I felt like I was the customer, and I was willing to pay for what I wanted, it shouldn't be his concern to question the whys of what I wanted to accomplish.

So, I actually have two questions. As I have limited experience with custom work, is that quote unreasonable? I estimate that there would be a good 5-6 hours in removing the factory bracket and then rebuilding the housing to add 2 DIN openings.

Secondly, how does one actually find a qualified installer that is capable of quality workmanship? I know how to install head units quite well, and I am sure all the chains around here do too, but when it comes to truly custom stuff, there are not a lot of resources for locating quality installers.

Any advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,

Rob