Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49679 - 11/12/2001 22:09 Playlists auto-inheriting info from tracks
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I would ike to suggest that FID entries for playlists, where appropriate, be automatically populated with relevant info from the tracks in that playlist. This would make the sorting of these playlists (particularly album playlists) much easier. Most people keep album playlists ordered by artist and then by year, and if the playlist FID itself had these attributes set (when all of the songs in that playlist match, that is) then you could just do a "set playlist order by year, set playlist order by artist" and you'd have everything nicely done (compilations with different years/artists would have to be done manually, of course.)

I realize that album playlists might go the way of the 8-track whenever soup views appear on the player, but it just makes sense for Emplode to set the Artist, Source, Genre, Year, etc. of a playlist when all of the songs in that playlist have the same value for any of those attributes.

Apologies if this is duplicate, a search turned up nothing.

#49680 - 11/12/2001 22:25 Re: Playlists auto-inheriting info from tracks [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I mentioned this when talking about something else, though I didn't specify it as a wish for an automated process. I've been entering this information with the help of keyboard macros. But I'm stuck at one point because I can't navigate from pane to pane with the keyboard. Plus the fact that when you finish editing a playlist, the focus is placed in limbo.

I hop ethat if some type of scripting is implemented, doing this will be rather trivial.

To have it done automatically can be a little tricky - the logic anyway. When setting the Artist playlist for instance.. Which album playlist or tracks do you take the info from for Genre? For Album playlists it's a bit easier - you can probably assume that all songs will carry the same date, artist, year and genre. Of course you have to be able to apply this operation to a selected range. That way you can avoid doing this for compilations.

Currently I have all my album playlist names prefaced by their year. I'd like to be able to elimitae this to clean up the display, yet still keep the chronological sorting.

Bruno

Oh, so in the end, add my vote for this wish! :) (But I still want scripting abilities)

#49681 - 12/12/2001 08:04 Re: Playlists auto-inheriting info from tracks [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
IANAEP, but my algorithm would be pretty simple. If all of the MP3's in a playlist have an attribute in common, the playlist gets assigned that value for that particular attribute. So if you've got eleven Pearl Jam songs in a playlist, the Playlist Artist would be set to Pearl Jam. If those songs happen to all be from the "Ten" album, then the source for that playlist would be "Ten." The Genre and Year would probably then be the same, so those fields would be set accordingly.

Similiarly done if you've got a playlist full of songs from 1963, a playlist full of songs which are all in the Christmas genre, etc.

The only argument against implementing this feature is that soup views are coming to the player, to which I would respond "yeah, but where are they?"