Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#69567 - 10/02/2002 19:57 Emplode - Use file creation date for track order
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Ok, I hear that I'm faced with renaming all of my mp3s to include track-numbers in them so that I can get album playlists to order correctly.

I'm wondering if it would be possible for Emplode to optionally order the album by file creation time of the mp3 source file. I imagine that most people rip and encode albums in playlist order...

#69568 - 10/02/2002 20:38 Re: Emplode - Use file creation date for track order [Re: genixia]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Remember that you can order the album playlists yourself in emplode. Also, if the track numbers are filled out in the tags, you can use MP3 Tag Studio, Tag and Rename, or any one of a number of other utilities to rename the files based on the tags.

If you're really stuck, I wonder if there's a way to easily write a DOS batch file that'll rename the files based on creation date.

#69569 - 10/02/2002 22:09 Re: Emplode - Use file creation date for track order [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Naah, I'm not really stuck. I've written a perl script to manipulate my .m3u files to obtain track numbers and modify the name of the mp3 that it's looking for, and it's only one more step to actually change the name of the mp3 file at the same time - it should be quicker than any GUI-based renamer, and if Empeg only cares about tags then I shouldn't have to worry about capitalisation in the names (?).

It's just that I have a largish collection of albums with existing .m3u files pointing to existing mp3 files, all of which need touching to be usable as ordered albums in the Empeg, and I thought that file creation date could be an elegant solution to this.

I mentioned elsewhere that I have a lot of tagging to do, so renaming based on tags isn't feasible yet. You'd have thought that having waited over 3 years to actually buy an Empeg, I'd be all set, ready and waiting, mp3 collection polished to a deep shine....Oh well <sigh>.

I have to keep my existing .m3u files pointing to the right filenames so I can listen to my mp3s in my office, lounge and bedroom