Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#41476 - 12/10/2001 21:01 Streaming music from external server via Ethernet
dtrounce
journeyman

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
How about a plug-in to let the Empeg stream music from an external data source via Ethernet (like the Rio Receiver or Turtle Beach's Audiotron) instead of just the hard disk?

I don't have all my MP3's on my Empeg (they won't fit), but it seems like it should be pretty easy to get it to play music streamed from my Desktop music share using its audio outputs, either via the front panel UI or remote, or even via Displayserver / a web interface. How easy would it be to port the Receiver software over to the Empeg as an add-on?

#41477 - 13/10/2001 05:57 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: dtrounce]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

How easy would it be to port the Receiver software over to the Empeg as an add-on?

Hmm, might be pretty easy, the empeg guys always emphasize on the fact that all the software they did builds from the very same code base. So besides the user interfacing problem, it might be just some defines in the makefile or something like that. The user interface probably is a bigger problem though.

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

#41478 - 13/10/2001 12:50 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: smu]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
The receiver executable actually runs fine on the empeg; I've tried it. smu is right though, you will miss the lower half of the display. The top half contains song info and the lower half the time elapsed, so you would lose that. I can't remember if i tried the receiver remote, but I'm sure the front-buttons and rio/empeg remotes do not work in any way with the receiver software. I used the kernel ir-hack to test the menu functionality and select songs.

Frank van Gestel

#41479 - 13/10/2001 17:30 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: fvgestel]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
I already a similar post on the BBS and the answer wasnt the same ...

Outcast Compliant

Empeg II - 10 Gb - Red Fascia - 750 Songs -

- I Will Strike From the Grey -

#41480 - 14/10/2001 09:34 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: dtrounce]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Empeg demonstrated an empeg serving a RioReceiver at the User Meet earlier this year, so I imagine doing the opposite should be straightforward.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#41481 - 26/06/2002 18:50 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: dtrounce]
leftyfb
enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
To bring this topic back ... what would be involved in getting the empeg to stream shoutcast stations? If possible

#41482 - 27/06/2002 03:34 Re: Streaming music from external server via Ethernet [Re: leftyfb]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It could be done in the kernel. You create a FID per shoutcast stream that you want to listen to. Now in the kernel you have code that intercepts the file open and read calls. So when the player tries to play your special FID the kernel code goes off and finds the shoutcast stream, does some "mangling" on it and then streams it in as the player requests data from the disk.

The kernel code will have probably have to lie to the player about certain things to convince it that the MP3 is very long and it will probably have to "pad", feeding the player some silence, while it finds the stream.

That would be the way to make it work seamlessly, but there would be a lot of problems to solve to make it work. Alternatively you just write a specific app to stream and decode (which would be able to use the tools out there already to do these things) and bind it to the HiJack menu.