Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107786 - 28/07/2002 10:59 Solution to "Least Recently Played" problem...
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite shuffle mode is "Least Recently Played". Actually, I've got a custom shuffle mode called "Hard LRP" which is a less-random version of Least Recently Played.

There's only one problem: I often skip a given track before it's even been playing for 5 seconds. So a lot of tracks that I skip don't count as having played at all.

As a result, whenever I reshuffle with "Hard LRP", it always starts out with the songs I tried to skip the LAST time I shuffled.

I wonder what the proper solution to this would be? Well, there's a "Times Skipped" field that isn't implemented yet as far as I know. But even implementing this field probably wouldn't solve the problem, as it would only count the number of times the song has been skipped, not how recently it's been skipped. I mean, the Times Skipped field would be terribly useful, just not for this particular thing.

There could be a field for the last time a song was skipped. Somehow I would need to create a custom shuffle that combined this value with the last-time-played value. I don't know what the config.ini syntax for this would look like, though.

Or possibly, there could insted be a "last-time-STARTED" value, which could be triggered within the first split-second that a song started playing. This differs from the last-time-played in that the song hasn't been really allowed to play at all but it did come up on the screen. If I did a simple shuffle on this value, it would give me what I want: All the stuff that I haven't heard as well as the stuff I haven't already chosed to skip over.

Any other ideas?

#107787 - 28/07/2002 17:00 Re: Solution to "Least Recently Played" problem... [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
What if there was a time parameter (somewhere) you could alter so that your fast skips were registered?

Personally this would suit my occasional needs.