Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5774 - 06/08/1999 05:14 What would be really nice...
0sb0rne
stranger

Those people that use CDDB to get the song info for their music collections... lets say mail the cdplayer.ini file to the guys at empeg and they could then either ship the file with the unit, or even better, they could put the file up on their website so that people who can't actually get to cddb (like me cos of all the poxy firewalls, proxies and other crap this company has) could download the file to disk or whatever, and then take it home and do some ripping...

- Given two theories.... pick the one that sounds funniest -

#5775 - 06/08/1999 08:34 Re: What would be really nice... [Re: 0sb0rne]
KoS
stranger

Loc: Switzerland
humm...why can't you access cddb ??....you can go on their website and look for the cd's tracklists.

if you're looking for a site with cdplayer.ini files, then check this one:
http://www.hinzen.de/cdplayer/

or use a normal modem from your home and then you *can* access the cddb....or ask your admin so he could open/map you a port to the cddb database. isn't there a option to set some proxy settings in any cddb-progs ?..i've looked at the quintessential cd-player and there you can set things like: proxy server/port/username/password. i think that should help.

l8r
KoS

#5776 - 08/08/1999 23:08 Re: What would be really nice... [Re: KoS]
0sb0rne
stranger

I can't use cddb from home as I don't have a dial-in account that I can use from home... I do contract work and so I can't really get a dial-in account without having to change it every 6 months...

The reason I can't access the cddb from work is cos of their bloody proxy systems... they have 2 proxies here, the first one (the one we have to configure in the browser) uses a completely bizzare port... that proxy is set up to translate to another random port (which one they don't reveal) and then that 2nd proxy is the one that does the actualy connection. Not to mention the fact that I'm not allowed to install any software on the machines here at work (security risk apparently *boggles*)

Just a bit of a pain really...

#5777 - 11/08/1999 11:18 Re: What would be really nice... [Re: 0sb0rne]
borgcube
stranger

Loc: Texas, US
Osborn;

If you can surf the net you can use CDDB. You do not need to use the CDDB protocol (port 8880) you can use HTTP (port 80) and use a proxy. This is what I used to use and it works like a charm. This will propagate through proxies and the like, if you can surf the web. Try this site and see if you can get there, if you can you are all set:

http://us.cddb.com/~cddb/cddb.cgi

Make sure to use the us.cddb.com site as this will load balance among all the CDDB sites as opposed to going to a specific one

---
Kamau Wanguhu
Compaq Computer Corporation; Cambridge Research Lab
[email protected]
+1.617.551.7613

#5778 - 13/08/1999 05:01 Re: What would be really nice... [Re: borgcube]
0sb0rne
stranger

Well yes and no... I can reach that site using the setup in the browser from home... but the browsers support auto configuration proxies, and I'm guessing ( a) since it doesn't work, and b) from how you configure it) that audio catalyst doesn't in some way support the type of proxy config

*shrugs*