Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6148 - 30/09/1999 11:39 Multiple buttons
doug316
journeyman

Any thoughts to use multiple buttons to control things? For example, up and left at the same time. You could use it for the "mark track" feature. You could also regain the ability to search through tracks without using the remote this way.

Besides, the way the controls SHOULD work IMO to be more intuative is this:

up or down held - volume up/down
left or right held - rewind/ff
press left or right - track back/forward

Then, for example:

up & down - change input (fm/empeg/aux)
other combinations to mark tracks, etc...

Also it would be cool to be able to have a priority associated with a song, maybe low, neutral, and high, and you could quickly mark songs as they show up in the shuffle.

#6149 - 02/10/1999 12:11 Re: Multiple buttons [Re: doug316]
dmoore
journeyman

Loc: Houston, Tx, Usa
I don't know that I agree with the multiple buttons (too hard to press) but I must say that the top and bottom buttons should be used for volume without requiring a push-and-hold. I have to change volume every other song due to the volume level changing from the way the MP3 was ripped. Better yet would be what someone else mentioned - an "syncronize" function that would calculate the running average volume then adjust up or down for each new song.

Davi

#6150 - 03/10/1999 01:07 Normalisation [Re: dmoore]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

To normalise the volume level I'd have thought you would need to pre-decode the entire file to find the maximum levels. That would take (compatatively) ages and one of the big selling points of the product is the speed at which you can access your music.

Normalisation is really an encoding issue. I have Audio Catalyst set to automatically normalise if the maximum gain is less than 91% or greater than 98%.

I'm not sure if there's any software around that will normalise an already encoded MP3 (it would need to decode and then re-encode so I guess it would be lossy).

Rob

#6151 - 03/10/1999 02:36 Re: Normalisation [Re: rob]
xml
journeyman

> I'm not sure if there's any software around that will normalise an already
> encoded MP3

If the empeg player read ID3V2 tags it could do this

Paul

#6152 - 03/10/1999 07:05 Re: Normalisation [Re: xml]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
If the song i´nt leveld ther cout be an funktion to detect the level and set the prelevel afteworth, so it will play corect the next time

Mark
emaks rouls #10677