Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6443 - 29/12/1999 13:09 Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

It's been mentioned before, but I think I have something important to add to the discussion...

Having the ability to associate a specific EQ preset to a specific track (or group of tracks) would be very useful. For example, I have one album (a remaster of the Fixx's "Shuttered Room") that is excessively bright. It would be totally cool if I could associate a certain EQ setting with those tracks to crank down the high bands a bit. Another use would be to EQ older albums differently from newer albums- older ones (albums made in the heyday of vinyl) are quieter with less bass and less dynamic range. Newer albums push the bass and the dynamic range to the digital limits. Having associated EQs would allow me to compensate for this, and would in fact eliminate the need for auto-normalization of the volume on playback.

This wouldn't require that much storage- only an additional four bits per database entry. Since the entry would only point to one of the numbered presets, rather than storing the entire EQ with each song.

The more I use the Empeg, the more I realize that such a feature is almost a necessity. Never before have I been able to play so many different kinds of music in the same place at the same time. It's startling to hear how radically different the production is on the various albums I own. I never noticed it before because I hand-tweaked the bass and treble every time I changed CDs in my car. Now that "change" is happening on a per-song basis. I could spend an hour getting the EQ set just right for "Ray of Light", only to discover that "Permanent Waves" sounds like crap with those settings. So this is definitely something worth some serious consideration.

Of course, the above has already been suggested. Here comes the important thing that I wanted to add.

The Empeg already knows the difference between whether it's plugged in at home or plugged in the car. This is evidenced by the fact that it has different volume settings between home and car. Well, I need radically different EQ settings for home and car, too. It would be nice if the Empeg could change its EQ automatically-- as it is, I manually swap the EQ presets when I move it from place to place. If the Empeg could change the EQ's as easily as it could change the volume settings, it would make me very happy.

Now here's the critical part: If you add the ability to associate EQs with tracks, you would then need to make TWO associations for each database entry, not just one. That way, you can have two different groups of EQ presets, for both home and car, and each track would know the difference. This would mean an additional eight bits of storage per song instead of just four- still very much in the "inexpensive" range as far as storage is concerned.

If implemented properly, it would be so perfect: You could adjust all of your music preferences to automatically compensate for the unit's environment as well as for the quirks of the individual tracks. Swapping the unit between home and car would be totally transparent. Going from an song recorded in 1980 to a song recorded in 1999 would also be totally transparent. (Provided you took the time to choose a proper pair of EQ presets when you uploaded the songs.)

Now, the average user might get a little confused by all of this, so you would make sure that they aren't forced to set up a per-song EQ. By default, the EQ would not get changed on a per-song basis. There could be a default EQ setting for home and car that would be used. But if a given track had the EQ parameter applied to it, then it could choose that EQ preset based on its current environment.

One more thing... if doing this, you should probably give the capability to group-implement an EQ change over a range of selected tracks. That way, someone with an established set of a thousand songs wouldn't have to open each one individually-- they could group-select them by album in Emplode.

So... Comments? Whaddya think?

#6444 - 29/12/1999 16:33 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: tfabris]
markin
new poster

Sounds good, but wouldn't it be easier to just have one EQ setting for home that modifies the setting associated with that track? That way you would not have to associate 2 EQ setting per track.Since the volume is lower at home, I bet that there is something like this in the software already.

Empeg #249. In use for 5 days, in the shop for 3 weeks.
Empeg #249.

#6445 - 29/12/1999 17:41 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: markin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting, but probably less workable then we might think.

First of all, my EQ for the home system is two-channel, whereas my EQ for the car is four-channel. Second, the EQ for the car is radically different. The home system EQ is nearly flat, whereas the car system has radical changes to compliment the treble and bass speakers.

There is an issue with digitally overdriving the outputs if you add up multiple changes. If, say, your car EQ had the treble increased on the front speakers, and then your per-song EQ also had the treble increased, it might go past the upper limit and sound awful. At best, it might give you a clipped EQ curve that doesn't produce the sound you expected.

#6446 - 30/12/1999 06:09 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Thanks for presenting such an involved case for this functionality, however we don't need convincing - we've previously stated that we intend to implement this :-)

Rob

#6447 - 30/12/1999 11:24 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for presenting such an involved case for this functionality

Hey, no problem.

however we don't need convincing - we've previously stated that we intend to implement this :-)

Ah, I'd missed that. :-) Cool. Good to know that you folks are on it.

Do you also already plan to implement the second half of my wish? Having the Empeg automatically switch EQ's depending on whether you're at home or in your car? And having two sets of eq's for each tune?

#6448 - 02/01/2000 14:19 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, AC/DC EQ selection will come - actually, I thought John had already done this (there's storage space for it reserved). There won't be different "sets", just that each EQ slot has 2 different personalities, one for in-car and one for at-home.

Hugo

#6449 - 02/01/2000 14:23 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Hugo, YOU DA MAN !!

#6450 - 06/01/2000 07:15 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: rob]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Any chance of putting something up on whats "to be implemented" and when its likely to be appear.

#6451 - 06/01/2000 18:41 Re: Empeg/Emplode: EQ Association [Re: stig]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Any chance of putting something up on whats "to be implemented" and when its likely to be appear.

I posted about this a few weeks ago, just asking for maybe a "Wish List Monitor"... but got no response whatsoever.

Link is below:

http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showpost.pl?Board=wishlist&Number=641&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5

(O|||||O)
S/N: 00246 6GB Blue