Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7134 - 15/05/2000 05:21 A Working One
firestarter
new poster

Loc: England
Am I the unlucky one? I have got my empeg out of the box only 5 times since I have had it (nearly 2 months) and now it is broken - something to do with the screen drivers or circuits.
I can see its potential, but I need something reliable for competitions, especially Bass ones where the unit is going to get shaken by the bass. (the unit has not been out of the house yet)

Are they a bit fragile, or is it just me?

Regards

#7135 - 15/05/2000 06:11 Re: A Working One [Re: firestarter]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
If the fault is a dead display (standby light continuously pulsing) then this is well known and has nothing to do with fragility. One of the chips in the Mark 1 display PSU suffers a fault in a small (but significant) percentage of cases, whereby it causes a current drain outside of the published specification.

We have no way of detecting which specific units are going to go wrong, so we changed the design for the Mark 2. Anyone affected by this can get a display board swap and statistically you would have to be very unlucky to get it happen to you again. One or two clients have been that unlucky, but usually the new board solves the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but you shouldn't be without your player for too long (we have next day shipping to many global destinations, and the repair/testing takes a day).

Rob

#7136 - 16/05/2000 09:16 Re: A Working One [Re: firestarter]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Am I the unlucky one? I have got my empeg out of the box only 5 times since I have had it (nearly 2 months) and now it is broken - something to do with the screen drivers or circuits. I can see its potential, but I need something reliable for competitions, especially Bass ones where the unit is going to get shaken by the bass. (the unit has not been out of the house yet)

I put the beat down on my empeg. I'm big into whitewater kayaking, and the access roads to the river I go mainly to (Chatooga) are all dirt. Since the rafting busses tear through the dirt roads, they are in very poor shape, and tend to make "washboards" in the road, where basically its like driving your car over a giant washboard, or a bunch of tiny speedbumps, all back to back. Either way, my entire Jeep rattles, shakes, bounces, and so on. Some of my friend's river trucks have even been knocked out of alignment/balance because of the roads.

ANYWAY, my empeg has worked flawlessly. I've had it for nearly a year now, and still have had *no* problems with it with it being fragile, even after going down these roads nearly every weekend. The empeg seems pretty sturdy to me. The long term effects, however, of this kind of usage, I am not sure, but its worked great sofar!

(O|||||O)