Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42605 - 19/10/2001 05:58 Random Visuals!
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I've wished for this since the very first release of the MK1. :)

Would it be possible to have more configuration ability for controlling the visuals in emplode?

The Perfect World would have a pulldown for visual selection, where you can "hide" visuals from being able to be selected on the empeg either by menu system and/or remote control (which still is bad for selecting visuals as if you skip it by one, you have to cycle through 50 other visuals to get back to it - which is very distracting). And also, in the same configuration dialog, be able to set up a randomizer, where you can choose the timeout (min and max second values, where it will change the visual anytime between X and Y seconds).

The Really Perfect World? blit the two together as they are changing randomly so that it looks kind of like a "fade". Now THAT would be cool. Not sure if it would look good on a 2 bit display, but hey, worth throwing out there.

The "Empeg Coders Are Bored And Have Nothing Better To Do" Perfect World. Just like equalizers, be able to set up profiles of which visuals can be randomized with which playlists. That way only the cool electronica songs would be associated with Visuals such as FunnelWeb, and my "Humor" MP3s would be associated with something like the clock. :)

Comments?

(O|||||O)

#42606 - 19/10/2001 06:11 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I like the idea of multiple visuals, however, for something easier and maybe not quite as cool, I think randomly switching visuals when a new song is loaded would be cool. In an earlier thread Toby mentioned he was working on "favorite visuals" functionality where you pick a subset of the visuals that you like. I figure this could be augmented with the ability to have visuals switch when it starts a new track. Not as cool as either your "really perfect world" or "empeg coders are really bored" scenarios, but less work, too.

-Tony
MkII #554

#42607 - 19/10/2001 06:19 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: tonyc]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
You can edit the favourite visual list in config.ini. I'm currently trying to find time to download the list of available visuals from the player in order to allow selection in emplode. The player code's there, but it requires UI -- as usual.

-- roger

#42608 - 19/10/2001 06:42 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: Roger]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Oh cool. Is the favorite visual syntax in config.ini documented? Is this an example of RTFM or RTFRN?

And what do you think the chances are that the "random (favorite) visual load on track switch" idea will happen in the future?

-Tony
MkII #554

#42609 - 19/10/2001 07:26 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is the favorite visual syntax in config.ini documented? Is this an example of RTFM or RTFRN?

The second thing.

#42610 - 19/10/2001 08:16 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: Roger]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Elite. Is the idea of the timed random-switch feasable to make the wish-list after the bug-list is exhausted (as if the bug list is *EVER* truly exhausted in any software project) :)

(O|||||O)

#42611 - 19/10/2001 09:19 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Yep.

-- roger

#42612 - 31/01/2002 00:25 Re: Random Visuals! [Re: Roger]
tgnb
stranger

Loc: earth
Great I just figured out how to edit the config.ini file to make a set of my favorite visuals.
Searching through the forum however I only found this thread with someone's wish to "randomize" these visuals.
I think this would be an extremely cool feature to have.