Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77338 - 03/03/2002 05:02 Another Idea, some sort of "Sound Deadening" ...
deswong
new poster

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I have hunted around and no-one has posted this yet as far as I can tell.

I was playing with those "Sound Quietner Headphones" used for plane travel today (on the plane too...) and thought that this would be cool.

We already have the microphone input on the unit, and we put out a negative image of that to counteract the sound waves coming in the car.

This would abviously put out a negative sound image but calculate the sound that should actually come out of the car, that way we would not sit in silence

This can also spread to other ideas too, like the signal delay I have seen posted here recently, you could just use a good quality mic in the position that you want to hear the sound focused, and then the software can do the rest (Just like my PXA-600!)

Just some thoughts, that would make the sound output amazing if it could cancel the road noise we hear whilst driving.

DAMN that is a funky idea. Shame I don't know my programming

#77339 - 03/03/2002 12:11 Re: Another Idea, some sort of "Sound Deadening" ... [Re: deswong]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This has been requested before and I think I remember hearing that because of limitations on the microphone's sampling rate, etc. it wouldn't work very well. I can't find the thread, this was probably a year or so ago when it was brought up.

#77340 - 04/03/2002 17:39 Re: Another Idea, some sort of "Sound Deadening" ... [Re: tonyc]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
hmm rather than nay say that it wouldn't work, why not try it? Maybe the sound cancellation effect would not be anywhere near perfect, and maybe in some cases adding to the ambient noise.... but it would be a damn cool feature.

Calvin

#77341 - 04/03/2002 18:05 Re: Another Idea, some sort of "Sound Deadening" ... [Re: eternalsun]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm not nay-saying, I was just repeating what others have nay-said... I believe some of it came from Empeg guys but I can't seem to find the thread...

Edit: Well I said it was an old thread and it sure is. But there's some talk about noise cancellation in there. I guess there was nobody saying "it can't be done" but are certainly issues doing it in a car. Headphones are easier because everything's so close to your ear and there's no fussing about where the microphones go...

But anyone who wants to try is more than welcome! I have yet to see anyone try to do anything at all with microphone input on the Empeg... So what the heck!

Edited by yn0t_ (04/03/2002 18:25)