Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#6389 - 08/12/1999 06:36 I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg
ryman
new poster

Loc: new jersey, usa

I remember finding instructions on how to get empeg working with USB, but i can't find them anywhere. I have Windows 98 SE with an ASUS mobo and two USB ports on the back. I for the life of me cannot get emplode to see my empeg. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#6390 - 08/12/1999 07:43 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: ryman]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Are you using any other USB devices?
If so, Emplode may have trouble finding the Empeg-Car if it's not the only device on the bus.
If not, are you sure USB is enabled in the OS (Does it work with other devices) ?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#6391 - 08/12/1999 09:49 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: Dearing]
ryman
new poster

Loc: new jersey, usa
> Are you using any other USB devices?

no

>If not, are you sure USB is enabled in the OS

I thought Win 98 SE had it auto enabled. It seems to find all the other ports. I'm not using a HUB.

>(Does it work with other devices) ?

Never tried USB before anywhere, and the empeg is my only USB device.

thanks for your help.

#6392 - 08/12/1999 10:49 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: ryman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
There was some issue relating to a particular flavour of USB host chipset (AMD, I think) which was only fixed in one of the version 7 releases.

I would think you need to make sure that you are using the latest empeg player version ('cos that's where the driver lives). I found that if I powered off, connected the supplied cable (A-B type) then powered the empeg on first, then W98 second, you should be rewarded with the "recognised new hardware" message as 98 starts, which should pull up the driver. You can check it has found it from the control panel/system/USB device list to see if it's there.

At this point, you can start emplode - by default it looks for USB first, then serial. If you don't get a connect, then the recommended action was to flash the developer version, connect a serial line (115k 8N1 NO handshaking) and capture the screen output as you re-start empeg and attempt a USB connect. ZIP the result and post it to [email protected].

I wish you had posted this in the correct forum, too

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#6393 - 08/12/1999 11:55 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: ryman]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I have Windows 98 SE with an ASUS mobo and two USB ports on the back.

Several people have reported problems with certain ASUS P2B motherboards - particularly older ones. It turns out that USB does not work in Windows 98 with any USB device on some of these boards - not just the empeg-car.

One user did manage to make USB work with Linux (though not with the empeg-car) so it may not be a purely hardware issue.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6394 - 08/12/1999 11:56 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: Dearing]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
If so, Emplode may have trouble finding the Empeg-Car if it's not the only device on the bus.

Why? We've had no trouble here with other devices and hubs on the bus when using recent releases of the player software.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#6395 - 09/12/1999 07:54 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: mac]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
Sorry for the misinfo. I haven't tried, but that's what I seemed to remember from a while ago. I guess it's fixed, or did I dream the whole thing?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#6396 - 20/12/1999 16:12 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: ryman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

> Never tried USB before anywhere, and the empeg is my only USB device.

Without another USB device (like a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer or something),
it will be hard to diagnose completely, but there's a couple things I haven't seen
mentioned in this thread yet:

1) If the USB plug on the system case is separate from the motherboard, it might
be a problem with the internal cabling. For example, the ribbon cable that connects
the port to the motherboard might be plugged in backwards. When I added the USB
ports to my case, the instructions that came with the cable were incorrect and told
me to plug in the cable the wrong way. Simply reversing the plug at the motherboard
fixed the problem. However, if your motherboard has the USB ports soldered directly
to it, then this doesn't count.

2) BIOS firmware. Some motherboards have flash BIOS upgrades available. It's
possible that there were bugs in your motherboard's USB support and you'll need
to download a new BIOS and install it. Check the website of your motherboard
manufacturer.

Good luck.

#6397 - 21/12/1999 04:29 Re: I Wish I could get USB working on the Empeg [Re: tfabris]
stig
new poster

Loc: Cumbria, UK
The solution (as it turned out) is:

enable USB in the BIOS