Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7002 - 04/04/2000 14:02 Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out
Ruffles

Loc: Seattle, WA
One feature that I've had on other stereos (Pioneer, Alpine) is a dedicated sub crossover, level control and pre-amp output. This allows me to control the entire system includeing the sub from the deck and still have front to rear fade. Your normally don't want to control the sub with the eq so if you have dedicated controls for it, it's very nice. Of course, there are ways to work around this but what the heck...this is the wish forum. Thanks!

#7003 - 04/04/2000 14:36 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: Ruffles]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We have sub out (4th order low pass) and centre speaker out (L+R mix) internally as I2S signals. It's possible we could offer an upgrade in the future to do something with these, but it's unlikely as the demand is fairly low - and would put the price up (another DAC, more connections, etc).

Hugo

#7004 - 04/04/2000 15:43 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

We have sub out (4th order low pass) and centre speaker out (L+R mix) internally as I2S signals.

Holy shit, I never noticed that when I was looking at the PDF file of the DSP's specs. Are those wired somewhere on the board that I could hack in and make my own outputs? I'd kill for a subwoofer level control right there in the software.

(Yeah, I could wire it up so the fader does that, but then I couldn't EQ the fronts and the rears separately then, could I? :-)

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7005 - 04/04/2000 17:14 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: altman]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I would like those features. Actually the dedicated sub out mroe so than center channel.

Calvin

#7006 - 04/04/2000 17:16 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
On the mk2 they come out to a unique header, with power close by. On the mk1 they come out on the diff board header. You'd need a pcb with a DAC on it, and a way of getting the signals out of the box. If you did this, we'd program up the DSP appropriately for you :)

Hugo

#7007 - 04/04/2000 19:16 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You'd need a pcb with a DAC on it, and a way of getting the signals out of the box. If you did this, we'd program up the DSP appropriately for you :)

Cool. I'll get right on it.

Just kidding. There's no way I'm going to THAT much trouble. It'd be easier for me to wire a remote control knob for the subwoofer. "When all else fails, use brute force."

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7008 - 07/04/2000 06:25 Re: Sub Crossover, gain, and pre-out [Re: altman]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
While it would be sweet to have these outputs available (how much work is it anyway? off the shelf products more or less?), I currently use my system in this kind of manner. I have the fronts for my full range front and rear splits with a Y cable at the amp, and the rear channel for the sub amp.
I have fixed the EQ so that the front has a HPF at around 80Hz, and the sub has a LPF at around 200Hz. The gain on the uppers is used to balance the F/B position. I used the EQ in Cool Edit Pro to adjust the 'look' of the settings and then tweeked it in the car.

My only 'wish' is that the eq or encoding can have 'coarse' adjustments of bass and treble. this would be cool to adjust from the Mk2 dial. the DSP is used for overall sound output and then this extra sweetening from 'tone' controls.

(push the dial button and you get the standard sound controls-> Volume (default), Bass, Treble, Loudness, Balance, Fader.)
(hold the dial button in and you can access the menus)

-- Murray
Empeg changed my life and it did happen overnight.