Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8331 - 24/05/2000 13:37 Playlist
firestarter
new poster

Loc: England
Every time i touch the menu it always starts on playlist. I wish it would start on the last menu I had gone to. Like if I had been to visuals- start at visuals next time - or dose it do it anyway and I have not found out how.

#8332 - 24/05/2000 13:58 Re: Playlist [Re: firestarter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wish it would start on the last menu I had gone to.

But if it did that, then you wouldn't have that wonderful front-panel shortcut which plays the whole hard disk for you (press the bottom button three times).

Some people probably have other button-press patterns memorized already, too, which would be thrown off by such a feature. For example, I'm used to getting in the car and switching it to the "Now and Next" screen with down-right-down-right-down.

#8333 - 24/05/2000 14:57 Re: Playlist [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
That's easy enough to resolve, make it configurable. I too wish the playlist menu remembered where you had been last.

Another approach might be to have an entry on the root playlist which takes you to where you last exited the playlists when you select it.

Yet another great feature would be an item in the root playlist that took you to the playlist that the current track is in (or a list of playlists if it is more than one).

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#8334 - 25/05/2000 06:16 Re: Playlist [Re: tfabris]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
But if it did that, then you wouldn't have that wonderful front-panel shortcut which plays the whole hard disk for you (press the bottom button three times).
Why does that need to be a shortcut, if you use that then it's gonna take several weeks, if not months for the playlist to finish :) So if it's something you're only gonna do once a month it doesn't matter if it's not the easiest playlist to select.
Some people probably have other button-press patterns memorized already,
Don't be silly, this is still pre v1 software, it's not time to start worrying about legacy support. If any improvement breaks old habits then so be it. And if you really want old button press combinations to work, then you'd better hope the empeg folks don't add any new features to the software, new features usually need a new menu item, and that would also break key combinations people have memorized.

#8335 - 25/05/2000 07:04 Re: Playlist [Re: danthep]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Why does that need to be a shortcut, if you use that then it's gonna take several weeks, if not months for the playlist to finish :) So if it's something you're only gonna do once a month it doesn't matter if it's not the easiest playlist to select.

Actualy, I find this feature really useful as well.. Alot of times if I'm tired of what i'm listening to, I hit Down Down Down to randomly select a different playlist.

I also like having the menu show up where you left it off though.. Maybe as an option right next to the first playlist?
playlist
| \
[sameasnow] bookmarkedplacefrombefore

-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#8336 - 25/05/2000 10:00 Re: Playlist [Re: andy]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Yet another great feature would be an item in the root playlist that took you to the playlist that the current track is in (or a list of playlists if it is more than one).

I know that I've requested this feature numerous times (over 6 months ago).. it would be nice to just be able to hit a button (Say "1" on the keypad) and have it jump back to the playlist in progress, so you can use "*" to go back up a level and select say, a different album by the same artist.

Also along these lines, one-button-shuffle would be absolutely wonderful... I feel like I (along with others) have requested this feature into the ground.. ;)

(O|||||O)

#8337 - 25/05/2000 15:11 Re: Playlist / bookmarking [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
it would be nice to (. . .) have it jump back to the playlist

Hugo promised such a feature some 6 months ago; called it bookmark. May be in Consumer 1.00 ??

Henno
ex 00120

#8338 - 25/05/2000 16:24 Re: Playlist [Re: danthep]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Erm, actually it used to take you into the previously selected menu - we changed it as a result of customer feedback!

Rob

#8339 - 25/05/2000 16:33 Re: Playlist / bookmarking [Re: Henno]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We're going to have a meeting next week to decide exactly what will be in 1.0, and what will follow on afterwards. This is NOT a request for suggestions - we already have more than enough stuff on the list, and it'll be a case of deciding what to take out rather than what to add.

Of course we'll continue with the regular Beta releases, so just because it's not in 1.0 doesn't mean it'll be far behind. We urgently need more C++ developers at the moment - once we find some and bring them up to speed I'd hope that software releases will resume at the rapid rate we maintained until recently.

I guess it's better to be busy than bored, though :-)

Rob

#8340 - 25/05/2000 19:35 Re: Playlist [Re: ClemsonJeep]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
One-button-shuffle will be in the next release - it's here working on my unit. Also in the next release is id3v2 support and some other twiddles.

Hugo

#8341 - 26/05/2000 08:44 Re: Playlist [Re: altman]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
One-button-shuffle will be in the next release - it's here working on my unit.

*worship*

(O|||||O)

#8342 - 26/05/2000 09:18 Re: Playlist [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Kureg

In reply to:

*worship*

"Pie Iesu Domine. <thunk> Dona Eis Requiem. <thunk>" (flashback to the monks chanting in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail")

Kureg

{ edited cuz those damn gt and lt get whacked by html }

Edited by Kureg on 26/5/00 05:20 PM.